20. Faking It

"I told them." Odessa remarked proudly. Viserys kissed her in the middle of the courtyard. Rhaenyra's jaw dropped when she saw them from her mothers balcony.

They hadnt told the world yet when aemma feigned a sickness. She wanted viserys back. She didnt know how serious he was with odessa and she wanted him back so she concocted up a medical mystery that would keep everyone worried and doting over her.

He wouldnt be able to leave her. He would look like a monster leaving sick and ailing wife.

Aemma had it all planned out.

Odessa didnt like it but she understood when viserys said they would postpone the announcement.

"You are showing." Otto remarked. Odessa glanced back at him through the mirror. 

"It's rude to remark on a woman's weight." Odessa teased. 

"I thought the king and you would be-"

"Yeah well Aemma is sick with some mystery ailment and it was a bad time." Odessa griped. "It doesnt matter, he loves me, we will be wed, it is just a matter of time." 

"Oh Viserys," Aemma declared dramatically. She brought a hand to her forehead, Odessa rolled her eyes as she veered off with Ophelia and Rhaenyra. 

"Is my mother going to be okay?" Rhaenyra questioned. 

"Probably just the flu." Odessa offered. "You know us women can be so dramatic at the slightest problem, even a hang nail." she mused. 

"Mother doesnt get sick." Rhaenyra corrected. "She lost a few babies a long time ago but she doesnt get sick."

"Well how funny that she got sick now then." Odessa agreed biting back her snark. Ophelia looked between them before she made an excuse which Odessa knew meant I'm up to something shady, dont let RHaenyra ruin my fun.

"Lets go play with your dragon." Odessa suggested. 

"It's not playing, Ms Odessa," Rhaenyra corrected with a laugh, Odessa wrapped an arm around Rhaenyra's shoulders. 

"lets go train your dragon then." She offered instead, their foot falls falling in perfect time with each other as they walked. Ollivander peered out as if he heard the word dragon and ran up to them jumping awkwardly at them. 

"Um... dragon?" Ollivander questioned, Rhaenyra nodded. "Sweet." He agreed. "Can I say it? I mean after all I'm going to get a dragon egg sooner or later."

"You are?" Rhaenyra questioned. 

"Yeah, my mum is-" Ollivander began but Odessa muffled his answer, he licked at her hand as she covered his mouth. 

"He is... being so silly." Odessa remarked. 

"Mum." Ollivander demanded. "You said-"

"We will meet you there Rhaenyra, I have to make sure Olli did all his lessons this morning." Odessa added pulling Ollivander to her. 

"Okay, I will get Syrax warmed up." Rhaenyra agreed. 

"Mum!" Ollivander demanded. "You said-"

"I'm not married yet," She whispered back, she ran her hands down his arms to his hands. "Honey, since Aemma is feigning a sickness Viserys has not announced it yet." Odessa informed him. "So Rhaenyra doesnt know and... the realms dont. We have to keep it quiet, between just the family for now. But once I am wed to Viserys I promise you will get an egg." 

"Okay." Ollivander agreed. "I didnt realize it supposed to be a secret from Rhaenyra." 

"Ennie, mennie, mionie, moe..." Ophelia whispered as she counted the hidden doors sealed into the walls finding what she hoped what Aemma chambers. 

"Stop, stop, stop Viserys isnt here, enough." Aemma demanded. "Gods." She muttered walking her chambers. "When will he throw that little tramp and her awful children aside?" Aemma hissed pouring a glass of wine. "As if me being sick and dying isnt motivation enough." 

"Your grace?" Her hand maiden countered. 

"Pretending to sick is harder work than actually being sick." Aemma grumbled. 

"Why do you think you were getting a dragon?" Rhaenyra questioned in the pits. 

"Well because..." Ollivander had to think on his toes. "because I'm going to marry you right?" Ollivander offered. Rhaenyra chuckled, a blush covering her cheeks. 

"You can say it if you want to." Rhaenyra added softly as she tucked her hair behind her ear. 

"DRACARYS!" Ollivander shouted, he didnt even hesitate. "Can you teach me more words?" Ollivander questioned. 

"All of them." Rhaenyra agreed. "Every day we can study together" 

"Cool, then we can have secret conversations only we can understand." Ollivander added, Odessa loved that Rhaenyra and Ollivander got along so well. Orion was basically a grown up in a childs body, he was more content with his inventions. Ophelia and ALicent were becoming the best of friends and Odessa liked that Alicent was getting out of her shell more. 

"Excuse me, mother, I need you." Ophelia demanded grabbing her hand and tugging her along. 

"Lia, whats wrong?" Odessa questioned stroking Ophelia's hair. 

 "Aemma is totally faking." Ophelia declared. Rhaenyra and Ollivander glanced back at them but Rhaenyra couldnt hear what Ophelia was saying. 

"What?" Odessa questioned. 

"I heard it in the tunnels! Shes a big faker!" Ophelia declared. "What are you going to do?" 

"I'm going to let Viserys know and he will deal with the situation as he sees fit." Odessa assured calmly. 

"Aemma I asked the maesters." Viserys remarked as she forced out a cough. "Are you faking?" Viserys didnt want to believe Aemma would lie but why would Ophelia lie about Aemma lying?

"I..." Aemma shook her head. "Thats ridiculous." she shouted and her facade faded, her weak and fragile state as she shot up stomping a foot down on the ground. 

"What's the matter with you?" Viserys demanded. "The maesters were racking their brains trying to save you from what? Your own jealousy." 

"You are my husband." Aemma snapped. 

"And i still will be but lets face it Aemma, there is no love between us."  Viserys declared. 

"THere could be if we tried again." 

"You and me did our duty but dont you want more?" Viserys questioned. "I do, I want more." 

"Odessa." Aemma snarled. 

"Yes. I am going to marry her. Your little stunt hasnt changed anything, except maybe that it shows how much I really do love Odessa."