Chapter 15: Final Lesson: How Strong You Really Are

It was a shiny new day and the forest was full of life and pleasant smells. On the place now known as "The Training Ground" Snowball was sitting waiting for Everest. The day before she told him to get ready because today is his final lesson since he learned so fast. It's going to be different and dangerous. "What did she mean by all that?" Snowball thought to himself.

He was sitting patiently waiting for her but she didn't show up. "Strange. Usually she is here by now. I hope she is okay." He said to himself. Out of nowhere he felt something jumping on him with force making him hit the ground. When he looked who did this he saw Everest with her poker face on. "What gives Everest? Did I wrong you?" He asked confused as he stood up. Or at least he tried because Everest smacked him with her paw knocking him back down. "Ouch! What is your problem!?" He yelled now a bit agitated. She approached him and tried to hit him again but this time he dodged and pushed her back gently. "Everest stop it. I don't want to hurt you." He said as he calmed down and got up from the ground. Everest changed at him to attack. Snowball in response smacked her to counter her attack thus sending her flying a few feet away. She groaned in pain from the landing but nonetheless she charged at him again trying to headbutt his stomach this time successfully hurting him as he was holding his stomach in pain. In response he pinned her down to the ground. "Why are you doing this?! Stop this!" He yelled. Again silence from her end as she managed to free herself and use her back legs to kick him in the eyes. Snowball cried out in pain then as that pain went away he started growling and charged at her and smacked her again sending flying a few feet again but this time she managed to land in a way that it was easy to get up from quickly. So she did and the two went head to head like two bulls, in a test of strength. Everest gave her all while Snowball had ways to go until he would do the same. "Everest stop! I don't want to hurt you again." He yelled. "Then show me all you have. Quit holding back." Everest said. This was the first time she said anything since the fight started. Everest started losing once the wolf started pushing harder and in the end she got pushed back. She rolled on her back and jumped up only to get slammed back down full force by Snowball then he pinned her down once again this time with more force. "Everest this is your last warning. Stop it!" He said getting close to her face. Everest was groaning in pain but this turned into a small giggle then she started laughing. "What is so funny?" Snowball asked now confused. "Do you see how much stronger you are than me?" She asked. That's when he realized, this was the lesson.

He got off her and she sat up and Snowball down. "Did you go all out?" She asked. "To be honest no. I still had straight to spear." Snowball replied. "Shame. I thought I could make you use all your strength. Guess I'm not strong enough. Sorry for hurting you." She apologized. "Sorry for me hurting you." Snowball said. "How do you feel Everest?" He asked. "Well you were surprisingly gentle so fine." She replied. "Good to hear. I'm glad I didn't done the same to you as I did with father." Snowball said still ashamed of what he did to Chase. "Hey now. It's fine. By the way. Great news. You finished your training." She said happily. "This means I can go back to mom and dad?" He asked. "Not yet. Skye will have a surgery today. They will try to fix her spine. She might be able to walk again by next week." The Husky said. Snowball nodded in response. "And even then. I have one final test for you." She said. "Yes?" The wolf asked. "You see. We will not see each other for a week." She said. "You have something to do?" Snowball asked. "Well I will have surgery as well." She answered. This made the young wolf curious. "Is something wrong?" He asked. Everest thought for a moment then she sighed. "Listen. I promised you answers when we started all of this. Now don't get my gestures twisted, I'm still taken." She said laying on her back legs spread but this revealed multiple scars on her belly and down 'till her legs. "Jesus! Who did that to you?" Snowball asked shocked. She sat back up. "You see. I was once sort of a member in a wolf pack. This was a very long time ago. I never learned their language but I know what my tasks were. It was a great experience. But you see, Winter is harsh and the wolves were hungry." She started explaining. "I don't like where this is going." Snowball said already guessing what she wants to say. "You're guessing they did this to me. And you are right. They tried to gut me and eat me. God knows how I got out of there but I was at death's door. Since then I recovered, but the scars remained." She said as a tear felt down her face. "So this is why you resent wolves? That is why you hated me? I'm sorry for what my kind had done to you." Snowball said ashamed of his kind. "It's okay. I owe you an apology. You turned out to be a good soul." She said. "And why the surgery?" Snowball asked. "Well you see because of what happened to me, I'm unable to have pups. I will have surgery to fix this." She explained. "So you and Marshall want to be parents. That's great. Good luck." He smiled. "Thank you. Now all I want you to do for your final test is to survive one week. Got it? One week from now I will come back and I want you to be right here in one piece healthy and well fed." She said. "I'll do my best. See you in a week." He said. "Bye Snowball."

At the lookout Ryder was talking with Mayor Goodway about the bear situation. "It looks like that murderous bear is still alive and it roams the forest." She said. "That's bad. I hope Snowball and Everest are safe." The boy said. "It will be okay Ryder. I'll leave you alone. See you later." She said. "Bye." Ryder hang up. "Ryder! Can we go now?" A voice called for him. "Sure Skye! We don't want to miss your appointment." Ryder said as they went to the hospital so Skye could get that surgery.