Chapter 1: What Remains

WILLOW

The shack was packed and full of activity, so unlike the silent, still, gray swamp outside. It had been raining all day. A constant downpour washed away the stain of the Greater Good, but things would never be the same. Especially tomorrow. If the water was the lifeblood of this world, then Croc was the heart, and he was leaving.

Julia harvested everything from the garden, loading it onto the S.S. Testosterone. That's what I kept calling the rusty shrimp boat Merle had arrived on. At first, I'd been grateful for the monstrous men on board. They'd shown up at the right time with a ton of guns; how could I not love them? But love was a fickle thing, and I'd caught several staring at my ass. Pigs. Once upon a time, I'd have ignored them. I'd have been used to it, but that was before. I'd been reborn, and I was stronger.

Strong enough to fight a bear? I wasn't sure. A girl could sprain her neck just trying to meet their eyes.

Croc was more than happy to keep them in line. Thankfully, Merle and Tex had pitched in enough to prevent any fights. But, despite his effective help, Tex was the worst of them all. Apparently, our shared connection to Julia made us adopted siblings. I'd never had an actual sibling, more like friends I got to know then forget about when I inevitably got rehomed. Perhaps this was bonding.

I didn't like it.

Merle thought it was comedic gold.

"Hey, baby sister. How's it going, baby sister?" Randomly booming, "Where's my baby sister?"

The man was going to give me a twitch. He had no regard for personal space, and no matter how many times I gave him the cold shoulder, he didn't give up.

Croc took my hand, pulling me from my thoughts. "Swim with me?"

I looked out at the rain puddles forming across the yard. Had it rained at all in the time since we got here? If it had, I hadn't noticed. I supposed that's what happiness was. Would I stay happy after I left? Would any of us? I took a breath and forced a smile, looking back at him. "Wanna play Marco Polo?"

He smiled back, but it wasn't anymore real than mine. "I want to say goodbye, and I'd like you to be with me."

I wrapped my arms around his waist, hugging him tight then pulling back. "Of course I will."

He led the way, squeezing through the masses and helping me over legs the size of logs.

Tex was in our direct path. "Where you going, baby sister?" His massive arm hooked around my shoulders like a vice.

Croc glared at him. A few of the men chuckled.

Tex grinned. "Don't you know it's storming outside? I guess gators don't mind getting wet, huh?"

"I'll get her wet," Reggie, the most obnoxious of them all, murmured beneath his breath.

Merle smacked him upside the head. "You couldn't wet a woman with a goddamn water gun."

I ground my teeth as roars of laughter echoed through the space. I shook Tex off and moved to the door. "You're all annoying," I said.

"All except me, right?" Tex said.

"Especially you."

"Like a big brother?" he sang, eliciting more laughter from the group.

I ignored him and stepped outside, following Croc down the dock and into the canal. We sunk into the water, and she seemed to hold us tighter. A mother's final embrace. I forgot about men and focused on her. She'd made us strong enough to save ourselves. Now, we had to leave and try to save the world.