SECURITY CAMERA 003: INTERROGATION ROOM 02

***

***

8:40 AM, MAY 28TH, 1987

RENVALE POLICE INTERROGATION ROOM 02

The door of the second interrogation room in Renvale's police station creaks open.

The figure inside's head jerks up, eyes narrowing as the same pair of police officers that have been questioning Emmy Torres step inside. The gruff police officer closes the door before joining his colleague at the table, as the smiling police officer gives that same assuring smile like he did with Emmy to the figure who, just like Emmy, looks like hell, with bloodied clothes and skin and a haunted gaze.

And just like Emmy, it doesn't really work, the figure's eyes still narrowed in suspicion.

SMILING POLICE OFFICER

So—

UNNAMED FIGURE

We didn't do it. We didn't kill her—Emmy didn't kill her.

SMILING POLICE OFFICER

I know, Ben. But we still need to question you.

The figure, Ben, scoffs.

BEN

Question us? I think you have enough evidence already.

SMILING POLICE OFFICER

Yes, but it isn't enough. Not enough to prove you and Miss. Torres are innocent.

BEN

So, what, this is some interrogation? Is that why we haven't gone home or haven't been able to see her?

SMILING POLICE OFFICER

It's a very... sensitive case, and you and your friend are the only people who'd know—and Miss. Torres was the last person inside the house, correct?

BEN

Yes. She made sure she was the last one so, we—wait, why are you asking me this?

GRUFF POLICE OFFICER

Just doing our jobs, kid.

SMILING POLICE OFFICER

We just want to know how kids like you—a kid with a bright future ahead of you, good grades, especially in science, a basketball star—have it all end like... that.

BEN

Well, if we hadn't even accepted that stupid dare, maybe we wouldn't have been inside it and nothing would have happened, least of all to her. Maybe we—

Ben stops and looks at them, something like suspicion in his face, before he leans back, some epiphany on his face.

BEN

You've seen the footage.

SMILING POLICE OFFICER

We've seen... some of it, but we—

GRUFF POLICE OFFICER

We need more than what's on that camcorder, kid.

BEN

What more do you need? It's busted up and shit, Sasha said—

Ben pauses, breathes in and out harshly, before looking back at them, face steely.

BEN

She said it was old, when we got it before heading into that house. But it still caught that thing and the haunting pretty well. That's more than enough evidence for what happened last night—when we were hunted.

Ben leans back, face tilted away, arms crossed.

BEN

I have nothing more to say. Not without a lawyer or whatever.

The police officers' faces are stoic, as if they want to ask more questions, but Ben's face is similarly stoic—he is not saying anything more.

SMILING POLICE OFFICER

Thank you, Mr. Montgomery. We'll be back to ask you more questions regarding the case.

As they stand up to leave, Ben's face twists before he turns to them.

BEN

Wait.

The cops pause and turn to Ben as he looks at them, a grave expression on his face.

BEN

You may not believe us, but you can't let what happened last night happen again—to let it succeed. If it hasn't.

GRUFF POLICE OFFICER

What do you mean by that, kid?

BEN

Emmy... I wasn't lying. She was the last one out. She hasn't said anything about what happened. But I...

Ben pauses, bites his lip, before his face turns even more grim.

BEN

I still don't know if she really did get out of that house.

 The police officers look at each other, then they leave the room. 

Ben leans back in his chair, before he stands up and paces the room, hands behind his neck as he blows out a sigh, back to the camera. His body seems to look tense.

BEN

You're wrong. It's gone. It's Emmy. It's Emmy.

He doesn't really sound like he means it.

***

Hehehaah...

Yes, Ben's fine! Traumatised, but fine! And, uh, with his remarks... 👀🤐

But, any theories?

The next couple of chapters should be soon!

Please read, comment and vote!

GhostWriterGirl out!