2. For Wishes to Come

Going down stairs the kitchen was filled with the smell of all things right. On the table a hot pot of stew was steaming, vegetable slices and leaves swirled just bellow the surface. A loaf of bread was on a plate next to this, and a white clay pitcher was sweating from its cool lemonade. Father still had an apron on, yet was already wearing his fine clothes beneath, and was rolling around sweet little cake balls in sugar. Beside him were the remains of freshly squeezed lemons. He saw me and his smile was warmer, fresher, and cooler than everything else in the kitchen.

"Good morning Satin. Rough night? We really do need to get that window fixed, your room must be an inferno in this heat."

Still in my yellow pajamas, I was pouring sweat as I pulled a chair to sit at the table. "I think I almost died." I said staring blankly at the food.

"I felt like that too on this day," He sighed placing his bowl of cake balls on the table, "Too many people expecting the extraordinary. It gets to you. Course I didn't get accepted, and if you don't as well, we'll be partners in failure."

"Um, thanks?" I wasn't sure if it that was supposed to be inspiring or not after being shaken.

"Now I know that you might see yourself as to old for this, but if you could do it for me," Father had finished his cakes, and turned around, holding them all within a big bowl that had a candle in the middle. "Happy birthday!"

My mouth hung open as I stared at the tiny flame, "I thought those were for the store."

"They still are. Leftovers will be free for any that walks in. Efficiency at its best I believe," he added placing the bowl in front of me.

Cakes and sweets were a rare dish for my father to make. The last one had been a powdered brownies as a gift to our neighbors firstborn. Was all 13th birthdays supposed to be this special?

A drop of wax slid down the candles shaft and I knew I had to make my wish fast. The practicality of cake balls in a bowl with a candle was dimming by the minute.

I thought back to what father had said, the perfect wish.

"I wish," Pausing for effect as father beamed brightly. Wishing was supposedly done in silence, but we both agreed that more wishes needed to be said aloud. "That well both go on an adventure and that everyone will know exactly how special the two of us really are, and too our good health as well."

I blew out the flame, smoke curling away carrying the wish with it and into the air.

Dad breath a sigh, then smiled. "Fine wish."

We sat down and ate breakfast.