3. The Deep and Dark

That coughing fit was a rude way to start a day supposed to be grand. Many events coincided at this time, but the most pressing was the invitation to the Dark Wloran. You could take that as an over statement. After all, the invitation was actually one of many small posters scattered around almost every nook and cranny in the city. A small sheet of paper that spanned the length of a mans hand, there was a red circle and the barest of information was printed on it with tiny red letters.

The Dark Wloran. Bring This. The Third Kings Fountain Square. Initiation.

The mechanics of how a secret organization can tell everyone of itself and still be called secret faded away from the excitement and curiosity that gnawed at my mind. What to bring?

Obviously the invitation, but surely they expected more. As public as their name was, they were indeed good at keeping the inner workings away from common knowledge. Playground rumors, children stories, and hushed tavern whispers tell tales of half-man half-beast monsters that ate you up if you didn't eat all your vegetables. And that when night fell you could hear their evil cackle as they rode night on broom sticks, familiars such as cats and toads keeping up by running on clouds.

Maybe I should get a cat. We didn't have any pets on the house, but catching a stray would be easy enough.

"Enough of that pondering Satin. You'll be late for the initiation," Dad said.

We were in the shop in front of the house. Around us were wooden frames wearing suits, dresses, and jackets of impeccable design, as if they were all to attend the most well dressed ball ever.

"But are you sure this is an okay thing to do?" Holding my blue cloak with many pockets, I wasn't keen on going into city jailhouse.

From somewhere behind him father pulled out a little pouch of the cakes he had made and handed it to me gingerly. "As sure as the morning sun rises. A little mischief is always good for the heart. If I were a younger man, I'd tag right along with you."

"But you said you didn't pass their test when you were my age."

"Yes I did not. I wasn't quite sharp enough to understand their riddles, but I was sharp enough to find their hideout. Healthy disrespect, believe in it. Even if that means to the crown. "

"But I don't even know when they'll start," I continued to whine, still unsure.

"So you won't even know when they'll end."

"Did you bring anything? Back then I mean. A toad or kitten? "

"Nothing, but my natural skills," He had been dusting the clothes for the shops opening, stopped, then put a hand on my shoulder, before pouring out his words softly. "The chance to practice magic, any magic, is the stuff of legend, your not going to get this chance again. And if you aren't accepted by them, then you'll know that you're true calling in life is to be apprentice to the best tailor this kingdom has ever seen."

I sigh and looked into his eyes, "Alright dad."

"You're going to be great, now goodbye Satin! The shop isn't going to open itself." He pat me on the back then continued his dusting as I opened the door and went out.