iv | Life is a Burnt and Sour Lemon Cake

The door of Julie's dance studio slid open automatically as I entered the building. I remembered when it first got installed two years ago, Julie was so excited that she made me come over as soon as her dance lesson was over. My old friends, the ones who ditched me, were also there. We would all take turns testing the door's sensors, seeing who could trick it. I know automatic doors are everywhere but the way Julie would promote it made it feel like it was some advanced alien technology.

It was a Friday afternoon. I always met Julie at her dance studio on a Friday and then we would go to her house to hang out. Or do homework; only if it was due the next day as both of us were professional procrastinators. That day was a homework day because I still had that chemistry homework to do and it was due the next Monday. I hadn't exactly made the progress I was hoping to make since I had spent the past few days impatiently waiting for Samuel to finish his 'tea-vestigation'. Yeah, that's what he insisted on calling it.

I walked up to the room where Julie practised, the walls were painted black with huge mirrors covering the wall and blinding lights. On the wall opposite of the mirrors were the letters DANCE! painted in huge bubble writing and bright colours. I spotted Julie talking to her friend Leah and made my way to them.

"Marnie!" Julie cheered, throwing her arms around me. "You should've seen the way Leah fell when I dropped her."

"It wasn't that funny," Leah added, rolling her eyes jokingly.
"Oh but it was. You went like plonk onto the ground and then you tried to save yourself elegantly but you were already like on the ground rolling around," Julie wheezed.

I laughed, unsure of what to say.

"Ha ha, very funny," Leah said, lightly shoving Julie's shoulder. "Catch you later, Julie. And try not to die from laughing."

"See ya!" Julie called.

I listened intently to Julie talk while she packed her bag about her practice and how Sarah unfortunately was put into another group.

"I mean, it's only for a while I think. I really hope she can join our group," Julie said as she slung her bag over her shoulder.

I followed her out of the dance studio, the sliding door once again opening automatically.

"I will never get over the fact that we have that door here," Julie laughed. "It like makes us seem so professional."

"It definitely does that, yeah," I agreed.

"Have you heard from the tea boy yet?" Julie asked, emphasising on the nickname Samuel gave to himself. "Tea boy. That is such a silly name. Like, what's up with that?"

"Beats me. Yeah, no, the tea boy has not yet responded."

"Ah, fingers crossed he responds soon," Julie sighed. "Still I can't believe you forgot what tea meant. I thought I told you."

"I have a horrible memory."

"Yeah, you do. It's not like everyone says it all the time."

"Oh, so that's why people were always saying 'ooh what's the tea'. I thought they were just talking about the beverage."

"God, you're such a dumbass," Julie snickered. "But I meant that in a loving way."

"Yes because there's nothing more loving that calling your friend a dumbass," I retorted.

"And may I remind you that your 'dumbass' friend has been helping you with English and art for as long as we've been friends."

"Okay, okay, you know I love you for that," Julie grinned, linking her arm with mine.