viii | Party Time, Baby

Fashion confuses me. I couldn't get my head around matching clothes based on shape, colour, fabric type etc. It all seemed unnecessary. For me, I had always stuck to the T-shirt and Jeans combination. It was completely fool-proof and I highly recommend it for anyone. Sure, you may end up looking like Bart Simpson or some other cartoon character, but at least it saves me from tearing out my entire wardrobe just to find what to wear for school. I don't even really look at what I pick out in the morning. Though sometimes that ended with some pretty interesting looks.

That is how I ended up wearing a Spongebob T-shirt on Thursday afternoon while standing in the middle of the trendiest clothing store in the mall. The workers definitely shot me a look or two when I walked in there with Julie. I thought they were supposed to welcome customers, not drive them away. I didn't even want to be there in the first place but Julie insisted that I needed something for the dreaded party.

"You're not going to a party with Spongebob and Patrick on your chest!" Were her exact words. Under normal circumstances I would've told her that Spongebob and Patrick were icons and anyone would be glad to own a shirt with them on it, however Julie was right. For once I was going to experience being under the spotlight and that meant I couldn't wear anything I wanted. I had to look good enough.

"How about this one?" I stepped out of the changing room and asked Julie. I was wearing a navy-blue dress that was extremely structured and stiff.

"Nope... it's a party not a funeral..." Julie replied but it seemed like she was just talking to herself. She shoved the next vict– dress into my chest and ushered me back into the changing room.

"And this is not America's Next Top Model!" I called as I put on the next dress. I hated it instantly. It was a mint green one that looked like it would go on a doll except at the same time it was something you would find in your dad's secret magazines.

But I hate to disappoint boss-lady Julie here so I pulled back the curtains. "This is why Hollywood and co are being sued for over-sexualizing children."

"I agree, it gives off weird vibes," Julie pondered. "Next!"

Off I went, back behind the curtains to try on yet another strange item of clothing.

After Julie shoving dresses my way for a while. I decided to take matters into my own hands. That's when I got out and looked for an outfit myself. There were too many options, but I soon found something. It was a flowy looking olive dress. I'm not the best at describing clothes, I just know that it was quite nice. Not the kind of stuff I usually wear but then again, nothing in the store would look natural in my wardrobe.

I found my size and took it out to show Julie.

"It suits you! The olive colour compliments your skin tone and the a-line shape of the dress flatters your figure," she said approvingly.

"I have no idea what that means but thanks," I smiled and went back to the changing room and tried it on.

I found out then that it had pockets. It was like I had hit the jackpot. Finally, a practical but still pretty nice-looking item of clothing! It really just goes to show how low the bar for women's clothing is. Most of the time, clothing only has fake pockets or none at all. And to think, meanwhile in the men's section, they had pockets big enough to fit entire laptops. Ah yes, the fashion industry, the epitome of equality and sustainability... not.

I ended up spending the very last bit of my cash up buying the jumpsuit. That overpriced piece of fabric better be worth it. I mean the pockets were kind of a luxury. Only while I was walking out of the store did I realise that I had no shoes or accessories to match the dress. I guess I was showing up in my dirty converse and that friendship bracelet Julie made me in middle school.