Chapter 18: Claws

The phone rang loud while the young man unlocked the door from his house, the tall man of 27 years old approached the phone quickly leaving his basketball in a corner. "Hello. Heavy D!?" he talked quickly with his friend and was preparing to leave the house again, dressed the same way he had arrived, his basketball uniform, purple cap with the flap turned back and took a purple jacket wearing over his shirt with the number 90, he then took his inseparable basketball that he carried not just for sport and locked the house again leaving and going to Heavy D!'s house walking on the street with the ball under his left arm. The young man was a karate champion and a former professional basketball player that now just played on the streets and used his basketball together with his martial arts to street fight. Upon arrival at his house, he quickly rang the bell and Heavy D! answered the door with joy. "Lucky! What's up man?" both greeting each other and Lucky Glauber entered the house where he noticed a television turned on at the living room, the pet cat Pooh walking on the couch and a drinking glass with two ice blocks ready for him. "I already had my breakfast, help yourself." Heavy D! closed the door and let Lucky feeling home. A football game was being televised, the two sat on the couch and Heavy D! handed over the invitation envelope to his friend and took his pet cat on his lap to caress it. "So, that means you were invited to a martial arts tournament and need a trio formed to enter..." Lucky finished reading the letter that was in the envelope and analyzed it while drinking. "I say, Lucky Glauber, entering together would be a capital idea." Heavy D! looked interested on this event. "Hey, you freak me out when you talk like that. Quit it!" Lucky, who had come to call on his old friend Heavy D!, couldn't believe his eyes for a moment when he saw Heavy D!'s meek expression. "Just what is this King of Fighters anyway? Huh? Clue me in, would ya?" Lucky asked, looking at the invitation. "I don't have a clue why I was invited. But it's no secret that my power's legend around here." Lucky shot a surprised glance at Heavy D!. Tortured by his rage at being unable to get a match after having killed an opponent in the ring and his subsequent ostracism, couple with his disappointment with the boxing world, it comes as no surprise that the invitation to this tournament was a welcomed gift for Heavy D!. Thinking of this, Lucky shared Heavy D!'s happiness. And Lucky, holder of the All-American karate style, was also interested to see just how well his ability would be internationally. This is why he really wanted to enter the tournament. But one problem remained. He meekly put this problem before Heavy D!. "So, what are we gonna do about the third member?" That's right. The tournament required a team of three to enter. "Yeah, I got a little someone in mind..." He pointed to the TV screen while playing with his pet cat Pooh. "What'choo talkin' about Heavy D!?" The toothy grin of Brian Battler, this year's MVP (Most Valuable Player), flashed on the screen. "And it's touchdown!" Brian Battler marks more 6 points to his team! The dangerous and violent player shows he has talent and that he's hard to go down!" The game narration seemed like fate, the two paid attention on what they saw and heard.

In an already advanced time from the night at South Korea a young man walked wearing a suit and tie with bags on his hand after leaving a Korean restaurant that was near his home. Everything seemed normal and the same arrived at his residence and walked quickly to the kitchen leaving the bags on the table and already preparing himself to go up the bedroom until he found his wife which went down the stairs. "Myeng." Myeng Swuk was the name of Kim Kaphwan's wife, that was happy to be attended with a kiss hugging him and leaving her arms around his neck. "I needed to talk to you honey, but tell me, what did you bring for dinner?" Kim had bought outside food to them that night and barely knew what was waiting for him. "I left the meal at the kitchen, but I got curious, we received some letter?" The young man spoke after looking to the letter that was in his wife's hands, she released her arms that were holding the letter on his nape and showed to him. "It seems something very important, I went down exactly to hand it to you, the kids are watching television upstairs." She handed over the envelope which he soon opened. "We are opening King of Fighters 1994 following the time honored custom. This year we will adopt a special rule of competition between teams of 3 fighters. That's all... [R]." The letter from the envelope was read by him. "King of Fighters... The tournament that Terry Bogard defeated Geese and also was able to defeat Wolfgang Krauser posteriorly. Who will it be this time? R..." He was thoughtful remembering the last two years of tournament which he knew the 'Lonely Wolf'. Myeng heard her husband remembering the tournaments she heard so much and about the man that made a great friendship with him. "I'll go upstairs to change my clothes; it seems like I will be fighting in a tournament more important than the others I already participated until now." He kissed Myeng's forehead at the end of his sentence and climbed up the stairs quickly following the corridor until arrive at his bedroom where he changed clothes to his Tae Kwon Do uniform. "Hey, look, dad! It's so cool!" The kids, blushing, called Kim. "What's up there Dong and Jae? Oh!" The shape of Chang Koehan appeared on the prison's surveillance system. The image was grainy, but the figure that was smashing down the prison appeared like a monster and his menace was sufficiently conveyed even on the small screen. "Why would someone of such power not use it for justice? I got it. I will bring this beast to his senses!" The news made it apparent that this fugitive was still at large. Something should be done. Kim ran from his house to ascertain Chang's whereabouts. It was well beyond nightfall and the hush of darkness shrouded the city... Then suddenly! "Oooh-hyo, hyo, hyo, hyo!" Just as he became aware of the bizarre screech, the flash of razor-sharp blades danced the pale city lights and fell on Kim. Just when the thought he managed avoiding the attack, another one followed. Kim was sure it was coming from the right, and the assailant flew down from above. A quite nimble opponent he was.