not a lot, just forever. *

One Year Later- December 22nd.

Harry Styles

"Okay is everyone ready!" I call out as I make my way down the hallway to my front door. A crooked picture frame stops me in my tracks, I smile noting what picture it is. Audrey, Felix and I smiling big at the camera sitting at a basketball game.

My little family.

"Dad! Dad! Do you think Santa's gonna get me a puppy this year?" Felix shouts bounding down the hallway after me. Shortly following him is Elliot with a shit eating grin on his face.

I glare at Elliot and he slaps me on the back moving in front of me to set his luggage down in the entryway.

"Uh, I'm not sure bud. Puppies are kind of hard for Santa to get..." I shrug at him, trying not to break when I see his tiny face fall. Elliot snickers and mouths at me 'What the hell man?' as we heads back down the hallway.

Flustered I just shrug again, "Is Audrey ready yet?" I say almost begging, she knows better than I do how to navigate these kinds of situations.

Santa sure as hell did not get him a puppy.

Elliot laughs again and shakes his head, "M'not sure, Maya said they'd be down soon."

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose, we were supposed to leave fifteen minutes ago.

"Fif, can you go grab Audie please?"

He nods happily and skips down the hallway.

Elliot walks towards me with more bags of luggage and I frown, "You know we aren't staying that long..." I motion to his bags.

"Oh. Maya and I are going to London after. We're staying with her parents for New Year's." he says almost shyly.

"Oh that's great! You'll text me when you get there right?"

"Yeah, yeah of course. Um. Dad asked to see me..." He brushes the hair away from his face to busy his hands.

I exhale, mulling over my words carefully. Our dad has tried to stay in contact with El this past year and my brother being the sweetest person on the planet let's him act like father of the year for his sake.

"Are you gonna see him?" I ask softly.

"I dunno... I kinda want to. Just to tell him I'm not coming back, I think he was under the impression that this was a temporary thing." He shrugs and I squeeze his shoulder to comfort him.

"You do whatever you need to El. Just because you're here and with me doesn't mean you have to cut him off you know? You're allowed to have a relationship with our father, I would never hold that against you or expect you to stop talking to him."

He nods and clears his throat and I know that he wants to change topics. He's told me before how much seeing our dad treat me the way he did bothered him, I know he's upset on my behalf but I don't ever want him to feel the way I did when I first moved here. He deserves all the support he can get.

He looks down the hallway before leaning in to whisper, "You got the ring?"

I inhale sharply and nod, "It's burning a hole in my pocket."

"You excited?" He smiles brightly at me.

"Fucking terrified actually."

"She'll say yes, no doubt about it." He winks.

The clamoring of heeled boots and Felix's chatter bounce off the walls of the hallway. "Sorry! Sorry! I couldn't find this one dress and Maya was insistent that I bring it and then we got distracted in the closet." Audrey prattles walking towards me quickly and draping her arms around my waist.