Chapter 17

Fernando guided the van along the neighborhood streets they had used as their hideout for several days with a sense of purpose. His pistol was concealed under his seat, attached to it by a couple of pieces of duct tape. After what happened yesterday, he was taking no chances. He put on the construction helmet and sunglasses, keeping his mask on his lap as he drove to the agreed-upon location. He packed his possessions and had them ready for a quick getaway once the drop was made. Hopefully, he wouldn't have to use the pistol, but he was more than prepared if needed.

Manuel sat in the back of the van with the hostage. Fernando repeatedly overheard him tell the man that he'd soon be with his family. He thought Manuel wasn't cut out for this kind of life. When they were kids back in Mexico, Fernando had to come to his rescue several times when other kids picked on him. Even as a man, Manuel couldn't treat what they did as a business transaction. He had a soft heart despite losing their parents to the cartels. Softheartedness did not fit well with what they had to do today.

On the other hand, Fernando was the guy who would get them both through this. Together, they made enough money with this score to disappear and live the rest of their life in comfort. At least that's what he told Manuel. The truth was that Fernando doubted he would stop living a life of crime. He did not know anything else. They were from a poor family that barely scraped by and found themselves in the wrong place when the cartels opened fire on each other. Since then, he had become violent and doubted that would ever change. Manuel may have hope, but not Fernando.

As soon as this job ended, he planned to leave Manuel behind. Set him up somewhere safe, far away from the cartels, and let him try and live a more normal life. After that, Fernando planned to keep living the life. He knew that meant he would probably never see his brother again, but Manuel had a chance to get out of this. Fernando then made his choice.

Even though he was in a hurry, Fernando did not take the most direct way to the church. He looked around as he drove, trying to see if anything was out of place. He felt sure the cops were still unaware of what was happening, but it never hurt to be sure—the last several years forced him to do things he did not want to do. It forced him to be cautious. It forced him to harden his heart.

The plan was to make the exchange quickly, have the Perra give over the money and files, and then drive off. Once they had what they wanted, the gringo in the back could be released somewhere on the streets outside of town, and he could walk back home. After that, they would settle up with the other gringo that hired them and leave California behind. Fernando thought he might go back to Mexico for a while.

He turned into the church, spotting the Perra waiting outside her car for them. She looked nervous. That was good. If she's worried, she'll ensure this goes as planned. Fernando told his brother one last time to keep the gringo out of sight and quiet. Slowly, the van approached the drop-off point.

Erin paced outside of her car. She arrived about twenty minutes before and parked near the church's parking lot entrance. She could see Detective Taylor's Charger across the street as they waited for the kidnappers to arrive. She tried to calm herself as best she could, but even the knowledge there were police around her was not comforting. She regretted ever getting involved in this. It was hard to believe that something she did back in college was coming back to haunt her life years later. How was she going to explain all of this to Conner? Would he even want to stay with her when he learned the truth?

Then, there was the legal trouble she was in. Erin knew there was a good chance she would go to prison for a long time. Even if he forgave her for the pictures and the movie, would he be willing to wait for her to get out? She made a mess of things. The wrong choice followed a terrible choice. She tried to tell herself she could make it right. To replace what she took, but she got caught. She only hoped Conner would understand that everything she did was to protect him. Maybe he would forgive her.

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of the van as it approached. Her heart began to beat faster, and her breath quickened. The day was not hot, but she felt her mouth dry and her palms sweat. Without a second thought, she opened her back door and retrieved the case.

The van turned into the parking lot slowly. She saw that the driver wore a construction helmet, mask, and sunglasses. The driver turned and stopped the van right in front of her. Suddenly, the side door of the van opened. Squatting inside was a masked man who motioned for her with his hands. "Give me the money and files," he said firmly.

"Where is my husband?"

"Give me the damn files. We'll tell you where to find him if it's all there. Now give me the case," he said, pointing his hand at the files and cash.

Erin walked within arm's length of the van's door. The man grabbed the bag and slammed the door shut as the van sped off. She watched the van drive away in stunned silence. Erin started to run after the van, but she realized trying to catch a moving vehicle was useless. A feeling of helplessness overcame her.

Across the street, Barnes and Taylor watched as the van pulled out of the parking lot. "Okay, people, you know what to do. McClendon keeps them in sight, just in case. Get ready to move in." He glanced over at Barnes again, "Here we go. We'll pick up Erin and follow the tracking signal." He drove across the street and picked up Erin before following the tracker's signal.

"McClendon," Barnes said over the radio, "do you still have them in sight?"

"Still got them. They're driving nice and slow through town. Ready to move in when you are."

"Alright, let's do this. Move in."