Chapter 45

The sun shone brightly on Sunday morning as Taylor pulled the car to the emergency room entrance. There waiting was Dr. Conner Harper, sitting in a wheelchair as Taylor came to a stop. The look of concern on his face was unmistakable to even the most uninterested passerby.

The nurse held his chair while Dr. Matthews spoke to him, probably giving final instructions. Taylor parked the car and got out, walking around to where the assembled group waited for him. "I want to remind you, Dr. Harper, that you are still recovering from your injuries. I wish you would reconsider checking yourself out."

"Thank you, Dr. Matthews, but I know a little bit about medicine myself. I promise, nothing strenuous." Turning his attention to the new arrival, he said, "You must be Detective Taylor. The hospital staff told me you're the one who caught the two men who abducted me. Thank you."

"I was one of several people who worked on the case, Dr. Harper, but thank you on behalf of my team. So, let's get you reunited with your wife."

"Yes, please. I'm very anxious to see her," Dr. Harper said. The nurse and Taylor helped him into the car, and he settled into the passenger seat.

Taylor shut the door and looked back, "Dr. Matthews, I promise to get him home safe," Taylor said.

"You didn't tell him about his wife yet, I take it?" the doctor asked. "I'm concerned about what it will mean for his recovery when he finds out."

"Well, I'll try to convince him to return if it gets too much. I tried to make a better arrangement, but this is the only concession I could get."

"Less than an ideal situation, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is, Dr. Matthews. Yes, it is."

Taylor took his place in the driver's seat and left the hospital. Looking at Dr. Harper, Taylor thought the man looked like he'd been through hell. In truth, he knew the man had been through a lot, and he would have much more to think about in the next several minutes.

"Detective Taylor," he began, "I know my wife is in some protective custody. What can you tell me? Is she in trouble?"

Taylor thought momentarily before answering, "You should let her explain things to you, Dr. Harper. It would be better coming from her."

"Please, Detective, there must be something you can tell me."

Taylor took a deep breath. "It's complicated, Dr. Harper. Very complicated. The most important thing to remember is that she did everything to protect you and your kids. Other than that, I think it would be best to let her tell you."

At the station, Barnes walked down the stairs into the lock-up. In her hands, she carried a set of transport shackles. Barnes hated what she had to do next, but it was out of her hands. At least she could make it a little easier on Erin. It also helped that she knew Dr. Harper was waiting for them upstairs. She only wished that putting on the transport chains could wait, but the procedure could not be changed. "Erin," she said as the officer on duty stepped forward to open the door, "it's time."

When the door opened, the other officer excused himself to wait down the hall. "I'm sorry it has to be this way. I tried to get them to wait until you saw your husband, but the chief wouldn't allow it."

Erin stood to her feet. "It's okay, Detective Barnes. You've done too much for me as it is." She handed the photograph Barnes took from the home back to her. "Will you please give this back to Conner?"

"Of course." Summoning her courage, she said, "I need to see your hands, please."

Several minutes later, Dr. Harper sat in a conference room waiting for his wife. As the door opened, he slowly stood to his feet. The first thing he felt as he saw her was how relieved he was that she was okay. Then, a sense of confusion overcame him as he saw the transport chains on her body. Slowly, clumsily, he made his way over to her. "You have five minutes," an officer told them, then shut the door.