A Small Magic Trick

"Lyney!! Lyney!!", screamed Lynette as she ran into the dining hall. Lyney jumped before spinning around to meet the eyes of his panicked sister, "Lynette? What's wrong?", he asked, extremely worried. Lynette gave herself a few seconds to try and calm down before speaking, "I can't find Freminet!!", she cried as she quickly moved her arm to hide her watering eyes.

Lyney slowly stood up and picked up his hat before walking over to his sister. He slowly lowered Lynette's hand from her face before grasping it, "I have something to show you, come on!", he exclaimed with one of his trademark smiles. Lynette nodded sadly before being dragged off by her brother down the hallway and straight to the family room'.

The room was completely empty as most of the children were outside playing. Lyney beckoned his sister to sit down on a small armchair, it took a little convincing before she eventually agreed. She carefully sat down on the chair, but was still fidgeting with her skirt and avoiding looking at Lyney unless he spoke directly to her.

Lyney sighed before taking off his hat with a smile, "Lynette, look inside my hat". Lynette looked up from her skirt to see the inside of Lyney's hat...it was empty, "it's empty brother...why are you doing this?", she asked, cocking her head to the side. That was met by a chuckle from Lyney's end, "just something to cheer you up dear sister", he smiled as he placed his hat back on his head.

Lynette slumped back into the small armchair, still worried about Freminet. He was barely a few months old and he's already missing, he can't even walk properly and has been having trouble crawling. Lynette's eyes darted from Lyney to the floor, her eyes were starting to water again, and she gripped her tail and held it up to her eyes as a makeshift tissue.

Lyney sighed again as he stepped closer to his sister. He didn't want to spoil the surprise, but he also doesn't want to see her so upset and worried. Lyney sat next to Lynette and grasped her hand, stroking it a little with his thumb, Lynette stared at him through the corner of her eyes, watching every move he was making.

Lyney sighed and looked at his sister, "hey... there's something inside my hat, you know?", Lynette looked at him, slightly annoyed, "now's not the time Lyney". Lyney smiled, "yes there is, tap on my hat 6 times and it'll appear!", he said as he guided Lynette's hand to the hat on his head, "tap it 6 times", he repeated. With a big smile.

Lynette rolled her eyes before doing as her brother said: One, two, three, four, five...six-

Lynette stopped tapping when she heard a small giggle from her brother's hat. Lyney smiled before taking off his hat to reveal Freminet, reaching out to his sister: still wearing his penguin covered babygrow, his little blonde hair still tidy and covering his eye, the sky-blue dummy/pacifier still stuck in his mouth and still holding his little penguin rattle in his right hand.

Lyney lifted his arms and carried Freminet down from his head with a smile. "Told you sis, there's nothing to worry about", he chuckled, tickling Freminet's stomach a little, causing the small baby boy to laugh uncontrollably. Lynette jumped up from the chair and held out her arms, "I want him now", she said with a pout. Lyney smiled again, "Fremi, you wanna go to Lynette?", he asked the little boy who was wiggling around in his arms.

Freminet turned to his Lynette and back to his rattle and back to Lynette again. He shook his penguin rattle a bit before looking back up at Lynette with a big smile. He extended both his arms towards his sister and let out a wide smile underneath his dummy/pacifier, he started making all these baby noises. Practically begging Lynette to hold him.

Lyney sighed before carefully handing Lynette an overly excited 6 month old Freminet. As soon as he was in Lynette's hands, Lynette held him close to her chest and whispered, "you scared me, please don't do that again Freminet", Freminet let out an excited nod, his smile never dropped.

Lynette rocked the small boy a little before turning around with a cheeky smile, "let's see who can get to father the fastest?", Freminet responded with a small giggle before Lynette took off running. Lyney stood there shocked before the cogs started to turn, "HEY!!! NO FAIR!!" he shouted playfully-angry, running after the two of them.

The hallways were flooded with the sound of quickened footsteps and the laughter of Lyney, Lynette, and baby Freminet. Lynette ran closer and closer to father's office and immediately burst in, closing the door behind her, completely out of breath and holding a giggling Freminet. Father looked up from her papers with a gentle smile, "seems you've found Freminet, Lynette", she said as she beckoned her closer with her finger.

Lynette stepped closer to father, Freminet still giggling in her arms. Father stroked Lynette's hair and placed another hand on Freminet's face, stroking it as well, but with her thumb. Freminet's giggles soon died down, but his smile never faded. Father looked up at Lynette, "so where's your tw-?".

Suddenly, Lyney burst in through the door, completely red in the face and out of breath. Father chuckled at him, "seems you three had a good time?", Lyney smiled at father before pointing at his sister, "she cheated father! She took off running with Fremi", he said in a dramatic tone. Putting a hand of his heart and the other on his forehead. Father laughed again, "come here Lyney, I'll allow you three to stay for the time being", she said as she pointed to the two unoccupied sofas.

Soon enough, the room was filled with Lyney practicing his tricks, Lynette gasping in awe, and Freminet trying to take every single card he can get his hands on and chew it. Arlecchino found herself staring at her three brightest children more than doing her own paperwork, but she didn't mind it. Those smiles were what she lived for, she wants to keep those grins on their faces for as long as she possibly could...