Chapter 16

I worked until dinner time rolled around. Luckily all I had todo was heat up some left overs from yesterday. After I ate there was noting else left to do. Since I wasn't in the mood to watch TV I grabbed my kindle and took a hot bubble bath. I soaked and read. This is just what I needed. Time for myself to just unwind and relax.
When I got out I felt better than I had in the last couple of days. I felt refreshed. As relaxed as I was I wasn't ready for bed yet. I went back to reading to help me fall asleep. I only got one chapter in before my phone buzzed with a text.
Mike: You still up?

Kristina: Yep, what's up?

Mike: Guess who's back in town?

Kristina: Um Idk, I give up. Who?

Mike: Jenna

Kristina: Oh that's awesome. I bet you're ecstatic.

Mike: You have no idea.

Kristina: I've missed her too. How are her parents?

Mike: That's what I want to talk to you and dad about. Can you meet us for lunch tomorrow?

Kristina: Sure. Is everything okay?

Mike: Yeah, I'll explain it all tomorrow.

Kristina: Okay. See you then

Mike: Night kiddo

Kristina: Night

I was so happy for Mike. He and Jenna have been together for the past five years and I I know he had wanted to propose to her. But about three months ago her father had fallen ill and she went to see him and help out for a while. While we all knew he understood it didn't stop him from missing her. I think deep down he was worried that she wasn't going to come back.
He never said as much. In fact he never talked about it. I could see it on his face though. I saw it every time he would check his phone and hadn't heard from her at the time. Then his face would light up, though he'd try to hide it, when he did hear from her.

The next morning I awoke from a restless sleep. I know it was because I was worried about what Mike had to say. When I checked the time it was nearly eleven thirty. "Shit." I cursed myself. I slept in way too late. I need to call Mike to apologize for running late. "Hey, sis, what's up?"
"What time were we meeting for lunch?"
"I was thinking twelve thirty. Jenna didn't really want to get up before eleven."
"Oh thank god. I was feeling like the worlds worst sister. I just woke up myself."
"Kris, I would never call you the worst sister at all, ever. Worst case scenario I would have just changed what time we meet up."
"Still I would have felt terrible. How's Jenna doing anyway?"
"She's doing good. She can't wait to see you and dad."
"I can't wait to see her. Well, I'm going to go take a shower then get ready to head out."
"Okay, see ya soon sis."
"See ya soon."
I hung up and took a quick shower. By time I got out, dried my and and got ready it was time to head out. I walked to our usual place. The little cafe around the corner. When I got there they were already seated at a table in the back. I didn't waste anymore time walking up to the table to greet everyone.
"Hello, darling." My dad was the first.
"Hey, dad."
"Hey, sis, she you had nothing to worry about."
"Hey, Mike. Yeah I know."
Then Jenna pulled me into a big hug. "Hey, Kris. How have you been? I hear you're seeing someone. I'm so happy for you."
"I'm good. Yeah, it's still new." I looked at Mike with a glower. "How are you?"
"I'm doing okay."
"How are your parents?"
"Mom is doing good. Dad is hanging in there."
We all sat down and ordered lunch. I opted for a club sandwich and fries this time.
"So what is it that the two of you have to tell us?" My dad was always one to get right to the point. I'm surprised he even waited till our food came.
"Well..." Mike started first. "As you know Jenna's dad has been very sick for some time now. We've been talking a lot the last couple of weeks and his health has not been getting any better. In fact the doctors don't think he has much time left. So after much thought and a lot of discussion we decided we don't want to wait any more. We're going to get married. We want to have a small intimate ceremony and soon, while her father is still with us. We wanted to get married anyway and the only difference would be no engagement."
"I couldn't agree more with the two of you. We can have a ceremony whenever you two want."
"Absolutely, I'm so happy that you will be my sister soon. But I am sorry to hear about your dad."
"Thank you guys. This means a lot to the both of us. I'm looking forward to having you as a sister as well. Though I think I've thought of you as one from the beginning."
"Me too. We need to celebrate."
Just then my phone buzzed with a text.