Chapter 18

I must have been sitting there longer than I realized because Nathan came back looking for me. "Everything okay?"
"What?" I looked up and saw the worry on his face. "Oh yeah, everything is good."
"You sure? It's been over ten minutes that you sat here just looking at your phone. So I'm going to ask you again. Is everything okay?"
"Um, yeah. There is a voicemail that was left from that number and I was debating if I wanted to listen to it or just delete it."
"What has you so spooked about it?"
"Nothing."
"Nice try but I'm not buying it. If it was just any ordinary call and message you would have listened already. So let's try that one more time."
"When I first left Eli I use to get these calls and weird messages. I just ignored him. And they just kept coming until he was arrested."
"And you think it may be him somehow?"
"I don't know. I mean I don't think so. As long as he's in jail, no I don't think its him."
"Any other ideas who?"
"One of his guys? Ian, Carlos, or even Marco. It could still be nothing."
"Or it could be something and you're scared."
"Yeah, it just took me back to that time and I think I panicked."
"Baby, you should have told me. I wouldn't have walked away yet. You're never going to be alone. You want to listen to it? I'm here we'll listen to it together. You don't want to? Then erase it and we'll move on and not worry till we have something to worry about."
I think about it for a moment before answering him. "I'm not ready to hear it but I don't want to delete it yet."
"Okay, we'll wait. While I'm sure it's nothing I also know this is going to eat you alive until you decide what to do."
"I know." I looked down at my phone he's right. I'm going to keep looking at the message icon until I go crazy. "I'm going to leave my phone in here while we eat. Then I'll revisit the idea."
"I think that's a good idea."  We went into the other room and enjoyed some sub sandwiches and chips. It was a good change from our usual.
Nathans phone rang and he had to take it. So I waited till he was done with the call to figure out what I wanted to do. "Hey, baby, I'm sorry but I have to go. That was my mom. My sister is coming back from her trip to New York early so I said I'd pick her up."
"Okay no worries."
"You'll be okay?"
"Yeah, I'm good."
"Okay. Don't do anything until I can be there with you."
"Nath..."
"Promise me. I don't want you to have to handle it alone."
"Handle what?" Nick chimed in when he heard the end of the conversation.
"She received a call from an unknown number and they seemed to have left a message. She doesn't know what was in the message yet."
"Another one?"
"What is he talking about Kris? What other one?"
"She got one the other day, but they didn't leave a message that time."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I didn't think anything of it then forgot all about it."
"We'll get to the bottom of this. Just wait for me."
"I'm sure it's nothing."
"Yeah, well, I'm not taking that chance. You about have a panic attack. I will not leave you to handle it alone."
"Just go get your sister. I don't want you to be late and have her waiting because of me."
He raked his hand through his hair. I could tell he was debating what to do. He was a guy was in control of everything. He looked lost because he finally came across something who couldn't control. "Since I know how stubborn you are I know you aren't going to listen. Just promise me one thing. Call me if you need me and I will come back here as soon as I drop her off at home."
"Okay, I promise."
"Thank you." He gave me a deep passionate kiss before he left.
"So, when were you planning on telling me about the phone call?"
"I don't want to worry you."
"I'm always going to worry no matter what. I just don't want you going through that alone again."
"I won't. I have Nathan and if it was Eli or one of his guys I'd tell you this time. I don't think I could handle that a second time on my own."
"You didn't handle it the first time. You locked yourself in your room and wouldn't leave. You shut your phone off and ignored all calls. Hell you wouldn't even answer the door. That's the reason why we agreed I needed a key."
"I remember Nick. That won't happen again. I can't live like that again."
"Okay, good. Well, I'm sorry but I have to head out. I have some paperwork to catch on at the gym and a couple of appointments."
"Okay, you go do what you have to. I'm good. You can't put your life on hold for me again. Go, I'm going to get some work done."
"Alright baby girl. Talk to you later. Call if you need me."
"I promise now go."