Chapter 9

You waited until the sun set over the horizon and the sky faded from blue, to orange, to black. You waited so long your dad had to call to make sure you were alright. And even when you eventually gave up and went home, you couldn't stop refreshing Pesterchum in the hopes that the familiar purple text would appear.

What had happened? Why wasn't he responding and why hadn't he come back? Was he in trouble? Did he do this on purpose? These questions plagued your mind all night until you eventually closed your eyes and drifted into a dark, dreamless sleep.

When you woke up in the morning, the name caligulasaquarium had a green dot by it and there were a ton of messages waiting for you. You eagerly clicked the chat and read them.

CA: fuck

CA: y/n something happened back there

CA: this creature appeared in a flash of green light and destroyed the door

CA: we had to flee to this meteor place wwhere wwe wwere...

CA: born i guess?

CA: im not sure kar hasnt told me all of it and it's kinda confusin

CA: the monster thing apparently came from an alternate session and broke into ours

CA: y/n

CA: it destroyed all the planets

CA: lowwaa lobaf all a them

CA: i dont think ill evver be able to see you again

CA: ill try to find a wway but

CA: i think wwere all fuckin dead noww

CA: the demon is gonna come for us evventually and

CA: im scared

CA: wwe managed to make contact wwith the other session

CA: its other humans and wwere tryin to stop them from playin the game so maybe wwe can fix all this

CA: i dont think itll wwork though

CA: ya knoww for the prince of hope things feel pretty goddamn hopeless right noww

CA: ill try to message you and keep you updated on all this

PH: Eridan, sorry for taking so long to reply. I was asleep until now.

PH: Crap, that's awful. I wish there was something I could do... Is there really no way for you to get back?

CA: none

PH: Wow... Well I hope that everything goes alright with the other humans...

PH: Who knows, maybe they can help you!

PH: Just don't lose hope. No matter how terrible and hopeless a situation is, you need to stay strong.

PH: Please.

PH: For me.

CA: ill try

PH: Good.

PH: :)

CA: >•u•)

CA: thats supposed to be my face

CA: the fins and all

CA: i couldnt figure out howw to add the horns though...

PH: That's alright, I think it's cute!

CA: reely?

PH: Was that a fish pun?

CA: ...

CA: maybe

PH: Haha XD That's great.

CA: wwell i gotta go

PH: Alright, bye.

CA: bye

CA: >•u•)

You closed out of the tab with a sigh. Hopefully things would work out. Eridan was right though, it certainly seemed hopeless now.

You continued messaging him at random intervals in the day, trying your best to keep conversations light-hearted since every message you received may be the last. He actually started watching Harry Potter and was pretty impressed by it. The two of you nerded out over it for a while, talking about your favorite characters and arguing over the best parts in the movies and that sort of thing. Eridan even said that Rose, one of the humans from the session that caused the monster to happen, actually made a real wand! (Even if Eridan denied it was magic she was using and claimed that it was some sort of scienctific instrument of destruction) You thought it was pretty cool and asked if you could talk to this Rose person, but Eridan declared that she was an asshole that destroyed his computer and he wanted you to have no association with her. You just laughed and told him to stop being a dork.

It seemed almost like normal, except for the impending doom of Eridan and his friends and the fact that neither of you were at the lake. Still though, you could forget about that every once in a while as you conversed with the violet text on your screen. You missed him though. His voice, his smile, the cute purple tint to his cheeks and the strange wavy accent that never failed to make you grin... You missed everything about the troll, and you would give anything just to have him come back to you.

There was something strange in Eridan's replies every once in a while though. Something dark laying underneath the bright colors and quirk of his purple letters. It was clear he was still convinced things were hopeless, and apparently his friendships weren't doing very well at the moment. He had barely even talked to anyone else on the meteor, and you felt a bit bad since that was kind of your fault. He assured you it was fine, but sometimes he would scare you. He would talk about how all of them were going to die anyways so he might as well join up with Jack (which was apparently the name of the monster). He was sure that it was the only way for survival, even when you told him otherwise, and went so far to declare that "all those disgustin dirtscrapin lowwbloods deservve death anywways at least ill make it a merciful one" Whenever this happened, that fear you felt when you first met him and saw that giant gun, the fear when you watched him shoot angels from the sky with that cold unforgiving look in his eyes, the fear of what he was capable of and how far he might go came back, and you found yourself wondering if he would be able to kill you too.

But then the conversations would go back to normal and the same person that caused you to feel that terror would make you feel like the happiest person on the planet.

You truly did hope he would find a way to come back.

If only you knew just how hopeless the situation was.