Chapter 13

Jure's Point of View

We were all practicing, for an upcoming concert. We had to revise our most recent songs, to have a great concert version. And we had to revise our oldest ones too. Fans are emotionally attached to these. Amalia is at work today, again.

This not usual, I'm thinking while I play. Normally, I would just count the rhythm again and again, but my mind is distracted. How to announce the big news? To my parents, since they barely know Amalia? To her parents? They are crazy. Her mother could kill me if she learns that. And to the boys? I mean, that's not a thing you randomly shout like that... How to deal with a baby? I was the youngest in my family, not like I have a little brother or a younger cousin, I took care of when I was little... Or just how to deal with a pregnancy. What if it's like in the shows? Oh my gods, I hope it's not like in the shows.

Those questions just seem to turn and turn and turn again in my head, like its never gonna stop. I will end up with another migraine tonight.

"Alright boys! Time for a pause!" Bojan shouted. I looked at my phone. Normal. It was 5 p.m., the time where he always takes a nap. I admit I would gladly take one, so I just throw myself next to Bojan and use him as a pillow.

Just at this moment, I hear the door slam. Definitely not our delivery guy, to early. Surely not our little neighbour girl too, she's in a school trip. But I recognized Katrina's voice.

"Hey guys, sorry for the late, there was more traffic than usual." She put her violin case near my drum set, and climbed the stair, joining us.

"Hej schat." Kris said. They kissed. I'd give anything to have Amalia here, and to kiss her too. Kris is a lucky man.

"Oh for god's sake, go make baby elsewhere!" Jan shouted. He was just arriving upstairs when he saw them kiss.

I woke up with a start – waking Bojan in the same time – my heart suddenly beating too fast. I'm really overthinking this. I exhale, I need to calm down. This is not positive energy, that does not look like me!

"Are you okay Jure?" Asked Katrina, while sitting next to me. She spoke softly, as if she did not want the other to hear, for which I'm glad. At this moment, in her eyes, I find again the girl we met in the hospital, more than 2 years ago. Caring and loving, even if we were stranger. Her presence is comforting – not in the same way as Amalia. Katrina radiates good vibes, like a sister! I'd love to have a sister like her. "You seem... a bit off."

"Yeah... I've been thinking too much lately." I just breathe. Evacuating the nasty thoughts.

"You can speak to me if you need. Or, I think any of the boys; if you feel the need to." She puts a hand on my shoulder. I shiver, and I regret it.

"It's just that... with everything that is happening right now... The concerts, Amalia's job, and the pregnancy, I have a lot to think about, but don't worry –"

"The... You said the pregnancy?" She looked at me with wide eyes. Oh fuck, I hate myself. Amalia wanted so much to tell her sister herself...

Katrina took my hand. As always, she was so gentle in her movement. She of course looked surprised, but it is as if, her happy smile for the moment before had turned in a dreamy smile. And I could see the real happiness in her eyes.

"I'm happy for you if you are, Jure. But remember, I'm always here whenever you need. Just need to ask".

I nodded slowly, a smile finally forming on my lips. It's reassuring to hear that. At least, I know we can have support. Suddenly, I feel a weight crushing me. Bojan, who else?

"Congratulation bro!" He nearly screamed. But I laughed.

I didn't realise that everyone was listening. Well, we haven't chosen the best place to do a psychologic analysis after all.

But seeing the wide smile on their face made me feel safer. I sometimes forget how much these guys mean to me. Like, a real part of my family, my brothers.

"Now we celebrate that!" Bojan had reached for a bottle of Jack Daniels and Nace has handed him the cup.

"What are we drinking for?" asked Nace.

"For Mini-Jure!" Katrina and Jan exclaimed at the same time. Their eyes met and they laughed hysterically together.

"Alright then, to Mini-Jure!"

***

A few hours have passed, I think. I don't really know; we've spent time partying and joking mostly (Bojan delivering us his best dad-joke just for me).

I heard a knock on the door. That surely must be the delivery guy this time. I go down to the entrance. I open the door, and I see Amalia.

Without a second thought I take her in my arms.

"Jeee! I missed you!"

"Me to Jure!" She laughed. "You were practicing?"

"Not really," I shrugged.

"You didn't answer my call! I was worried not seeing you home!" She said with a high-pitched voice.

"Don't worry ljubezen..." She relaxes in my arms. "I... might have said..."

"What?"

"My tongue has slipped and I told the others that you were pregnant..."

"Oh it's just that! You frightened me with your anxious voice!" She sighed with a smile. "I was kinda afraid to tell them anyway. Glad you did it!" And she kissed me. Best time of the day.

"Well, we were all partying, wanna join us? No drinking of course!"

"Of course! Let's go!"

 Hey ! here it is, a day early ! (Yes I'm proud to only write 1 chapter a week TT) For me, next week is holidays, and by you?

Other thing I'd like to share : I have to do my JDC (journée du citoyen) and that seems horrible. Basically that's a day your forced to do in order to have any official exam like driving liscence or the finals. And all we're gonna do is watch the army propaganda and pass a test to see if we are unlettered. That shit is 7h30 long ! And not even in my town, i have to do 30 km to go. From what I've heard, there's always people who doesn't even know how to write their name. I'm terrified o-O

Anyway, enough with my bla bla, see you probably next week !