«12» lies we tell (II)

When the end-credits rolled and they had neatly packed away everything into Fulan’s car, Yaseerah decided to wrap up the evening by getting dirty tea from Charme Tea Shop for Bilal and Mamu.

As she stood in line at the tea shop, the last person she wanted to see strode up to her, making dread unfurl in her guts.

“Yaseerah, what are you doing here?”

Just what I needed today, she thought, casting a quick glance around, her hope pinned on Fulan’s phone call taking longer, allowing her to escape the encounter with Nadia before the two could have a chance to meet.

“Same as you, I suppose,” Yaseerah replied with an air of nonchalance that had always been her armor.

“I wanted to apologize for my behavior at the garden party,” Nadia continued, seemingly unshaken by Yaseerah’s chilly demeanor.

And you couldn’t have done this weeks ago when it actually mattered?

“It’s nothing,” Yaseerah’s lips curled into a strained smile, her jaw tense as she forced the words out.

She was acutely aware of Fulan’s impending arrival, which made the dread she felt increase tenfold, and her gaze strayed to the counter as she contemplated abandoning the tea altogether. “Let’s just call it water under the bridge.”

“Okay, I was thinking...” Nadia’s sentence trailed off, and Yaseerah looked up, curious about the distraction, because Nadia never stopped talking. When she saw Fulan heading towards them, Yaseerah knew both her worlds were about to upend.

“Wait, is that who I think it is?”

“Hello,” Fulan greeted, his tone polite, but his focus was squarely on Yaseerah.

Worst timing, dude!

“Hi,” Nadia’s voice oozed saccharine sweetness, her words dripping with false charm, and Yaseerah wanted to scoff at the hypocrisy, but knowing that her secret rendezvous was about to be discovered, she remained silent, as Nadia turned towards her with a coy smile.

“Holy hell Yaseerah,” she whispered lowly, as she leaned against Yaseerah’s ear so only the two of them could hear her words. “I knew he’d be hot, but I didn't think he’d be this hot.”

Yaseerah’s cheeks turned rosy as Nadia leaned back to appraise Fulan fully.

“I received the invitation today. Just the reception? Really, Yas? No henna party or anything?” Nadia’s tone was a mixture of disappointment and accusation as she kept stealing glances at Fulan.

Oh, Nadia! You tattletale!

Yaseerah stole a nervous glance at Fulan, silently praying that Nadia would choose her words carefully.

“I didn’t want to make a fuss,” Yaseerah’s words were stilted, as she looked at anywhere but at Fulan.

Nadia scoffed, as she turned her gaze on Fulan who remained impassive. “I didn’t think Yaseerah was hiding you from us because you’re this good-looking. You know you’re a hard man to get ahold of,” she teased, sensing Yaseerah’s growing unease.

“Nadia, meet Fulan. Fulan, meet Nadia,” Yaseerah introduced tersely, forcing a fake smile, but dreading the inevitable gossip that would circulate come morning.

“Fulan?” Nadia’s brows creased into a frown, as she glanced between the duo, hoping either of them would tell her that it was a joke. “No, you must be mistaken.”

Mistaken? I wish!

“I thought you were Fou...”

“Lovely to meet you, Nadia,” Fulan’s jaw tightened as he cut into her tirade, and his eyes, once warm and inviting, were now empty as he turned to look at Yaseerah, making her silently curse Naria’s running mouth.