Chapter 5: What do you want?

Back to the present

After the class, not much happened, but the day was far from uneventful. My friend Liz and I decided to spend our time at the arcade, where we played a variety of games, from classic pinball to the latest virtual reality experiences. The flashing lights and the sounds of excitement filled the air, creating an electric atmosphere.

We left the arcade and found ourselves strolling through the bustling mall. It was a hive of activity, with shoppers scurrying about, bags in hand, and the aroma of freshly baked goods wafting from the bakery. We window-shopped, occasionally stopping to admire some trendy outfits or quirky gadgets.

Eventually, we decided to leave the confines of the mall and take a leisurely walk along the streets. The sun cast long shadows as it began its descent, and the sky painted a beautiful array of colors, transitioning from vibrant blues to warm shades of orange and pink.

As we reached a pedestrian lane, we waited for the green sign to signal our safe passage. I realized I needed to use the public restroom and excused myself. After a quick visit, I rejoined Liz at the pedestrian lane. The restroom was conveniently close, allowing us to easily cross the street together.

Our paths diverged as we reached the end of our day. Liz headed left, where she planned to catch a jeepney, while I turned right, opting to enjoy the evening on foot as my apartment was within walking distance. There's something calming about solitary walks on a not-so-dark night, and I relished the soothing energy it provided.

I continued my walk, and my apartment building loomed just a few meters ahead. But before returning home, I decided to grab dinner from a nearby eatery so that I can savor it when I arrive. The bustling sounds of the street, the scent of street food, and the chatter of passersby created a vibrant ambiance that I cherished.

Back in my apartment, I embraced the solitude that came with living alone. It provided me with a sense of freedom and peace, allowing me to reflect on my day and my thoughts. As I ascended to the second floor and approached my apartment door, a sense of déjà vu washed over me. It was oddly familiar, and I couldn't shake the feeling.

Confused by my thoughts, I reached for the doorknob when suddenly, a loud noise pierced the air. Startled, I let out an unintentional curse. It turned out to be just my noisy neighbors, engaged in their usual ruckus. I offered a quick wave of acknowledgment and finally stepped into my room.

As I settled in, I couldn't help but ponder the strange feelings that had been plaguing me lately. Something was definitely amiss, and it was bothering me more than I cared to admit.

The day had been incredibly long, and it felt as though I'd been connected to the outside world for an eternity. As I returned to my apartment, I was grateful for the ready-made dinner I had brought with me. It meant I could enjoy a meal without the chore of washing dishes, and I could even reuse the container for future needs.

After savoring my meal, I reached for a glass of water. The tranquility of my home provided a stark contrast to the bustle of the day. Settling in, I decided to catch up on social media, feeling a sense of obligation to stay updated with the world, as there might be something important that I shouldn't miss.

An hour slipped away as I scrolled through posts, liked photos, and read status updates. With that done, I felt a growing sense of weariness. It was time to prepare for a good night's sleep.

I made my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth, relishing the refreshing feeling of water splashing against my face as I washed it. Afterward, I changed into comfortable pajamas, ready to unwind.

I lay down on my bed, enveloped in the cozy embrace of my sheets. My thoughts began to drift, and I found myself reflecting on the events of the day. The social media app on my phone beckoned me, and I returned to it. A post caught my eye, and I couldn't resist clicking on it.