Chapter fourteen

"I know you can do better than this"Mr Collins says as he hands me my paper while shaking his head.I got to the library and opened the paper,the moment I see my score I start sobbing.I squeeze the sheet when I noticed that kunle walked in.I thought he would say something but he just wraps his hands around me while I cry on his shoulder wetting his blue jacket.He pats my head softly,then withdraws his hands.
   "It doesn't ends here,you just have to work harder"
  I wipe my tear weakly as I look at him"what did you get?"
   "Nineteen"he replies
   "I got five"I say holding my five fingers in the air"just five"
   "but it's okay, everyone fails once in a while"
   I sigh deeply as I get up"I'm going home"
   "school is not over"he says
   "I just want to be alone"
   "So I should leave"he asks and I sit back
  "I don't know"I answer.
   "Look chioma,I know how you feel,I know how failure feels like"
   "No you don't, you're smart"
   "It's not just test failure,there are different type of failure...like failing to protect someone"he says,I see a hint of emotion wash over his straight face.Did I trigger something?.I look at him and brighten up"you're right"I say and smile,he smiles too.
   "Just keep your face like that forever"he says and I laugh.
   "Um..I brought snacks,I noticed you weren't at the cafeteria"he says and bring out a bottle of coke and two chocolate biscuits.My eyes suddenly shines in delight.I take the snacks from his hands and start eating,I knew I was eating without manners,but I couldn't help it,I was so hungry the only thing I'd eaten was breakfast and besides he had already seen me eat like that before.I look up just to see him looking back at me"what?"
   "Nothing"he replies and tears his eyes from mine.
   I finish eating and throw the wrap away.
   "Are you satisfied"he asks and I nod.
   We were silent for a while.Something suddenly hit me.
   "Kunle"I call and he smiles at me,my heart skipped a bit.
   "What?"I asks
   "Nothing,just thinking of something"
   "Ok,can you like um....em..."I tried to find the right words."em...."
   "can I tutor you?"he asks and I nod wondering how he knew what was on my mind.
(Kunle's pov)
I watch chioma as she ate the snacks I bought for her,she was so different from other girls who ate cautiously and practiced table manners when they notice my presence.I couldn't help but look at her,I used the opportunity to scan her face and observe all her features.
  "What?"she asks.I didn't even know I was smiling.
   "Nothing"I reply going back to my straight face.
   It was then I thought of something very pleasing,I imagined myself teaching her,it was just a normal thing but it felt so good.It was then she called me and staggered on her words,I knew what she wanted to say so I completed it for her.
   "Can I tutor you?"I say and she nods,I could see her face flash red.Any girl in laceville would want me to tutor them anyways.