Chapter 26

"They won't kill him." Finnick said still holding Iris. A salty tear ran down her cheek as she looked at Finnick, "And how do you know that?" She asked almost being smart then look down at the ground. Finnick grabbed both sides of her face forcing her to look at him, "They have to keep him alive because of you." Iris tilted her head to the side confused. "I know this is going to sound bad but the capital is going to use him just like they used you against Clove." "They didn't use me against Clove." Iris said trying to put her walls up. "Don't do that." "What?" Iris said looking up at him with a surprised but confused look. "Iris I know we are not the best of friends but you're the closest thing I have to a sister so Clove was not the only one being torn apart...... it took every part of me not to go storm into the capital myself and save you." Finnick put his head down trying to hide his face as a few tears came out of his eyes and down his cheeks. "Finnick......" Iris said looking at him for a second before grabbing the back of his head and putting his head into her chest hugging him. After a little bit Iris realize that people were starting to gather around them. Iris slowly got up and put her hand out to Finnick. He took it with no hesitation and looked around at all the people as he quickly wiped his eyes. Iris still had ahold of Finnicks hand and she rushed him out of the circle of people and back to Mrs. Everdeens house. Iris walked in to see no one inside, not even Prim outside in the backyard. Iris let go of Finnicks hand and started looking around the house, "Guys? Where are you guys?" She kept calling for them but there was no answer. She walked past the kitchen table but stoped dead in her tracks when she saw a little note sitting on it. Iris walked over and picked it up.
Dear Iris,
I am writing this letter to inform you that you no longer have anyone to rely on. I took everything you have, I have all of your little rebel team, Prim. Mrs. Everdeen, Max, oh and I also have Ms. Kentwell. Oh yes she is a real charm to deal with even when she fights back. It is extraordinary how much fight such a little girl has in her. But seriously Iris... you can't do this on your own... so just turn yourself into the capital and make everyone's life so much easier. Ms. Stoll I like you.....don't make me come after you.
President Snow

Iris stared at the letter for a second reading it over and over to make sure she was reading it right. Iris looked up at Finnick, "What?" He asked concerned. Iris showed him the letter as he walked over and took it from her reading it. "Well they clearly didn't get everyone on the team if I'm still here." Finnick said scratching the back of his head. "Yeah but that's only because you were with me the whole time..... but it doesn't make sense... why wouldn't he just come get me like the rest of them." Iris went over and sat on the couch resting her head on the wall behind it closing her eyes. She hear Finnick come and sit down next to her. "What are we going to do?" Iris asked keeping her eyes closed, "We have to get all the district on our side with just the two of us." "It will be fine I mean just today you did it no problem." Finnick said trying to cheer Iris up. "Yeah but that was only because i knew how to play the crowd because Boggs talked to them before me." "Ok well I can talk before you then once you get a good feel of the crowd you can step in and start talking." Finnick said almost sounding pleased with his plan. "That's all good and dandy but how on earth is a whole district going to believe two people." Iris said already sounding defeated. "They will." Finnick said making Iris open her eyes.

Iris set the letter down and rubbed her face sitting down on the couch. "Do you mind?" Finnick asked sitting next to her. She shook her head looking down at the ground but suddenly she heard something scratching down the hall, it almost sounded like claws scratching against the wood floor. Iris quickly stood up and looked down the hallway and saw lily trotting down the hallway. Iris fell to her knees as lily ran to her and started licking her in the face. "Oh who's this little guy?" Finnick asked standing up and walking over. "Her... name is lily." "Oh my bad her" Finnick said smiling. Iris picked her up and opened the back door setting her down outside and letting her play. Iris stepped outside as well taking a deep breath of fresh air, smiling as it filled her lungs. She heard Finnick step behind her. "We need to leave this district and start heading to the next one.....we have to make quick work of the next district but we have to do it silently." Finnick said looking out at the yard. Iris nodded, "Let me go pack my things." Iris headed back inside then put all of her belongings in her bag then hoisted it onto her back. She set her bag onto the couch as Finnick stepped back inside with a cat in his hands. Iris looked at him for a second then walked over, "Buttercup" she said petting the cat. Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door scaring the cat as I fought its way out of Finnicks arms then ran under the couch. Iris walked over to the door and put her hand on the door knob. Just before she opened it there was another loud bang on the door. Iris turned and look at Finnick who got his gun out of his holder and pointed it at the door. Iris slowly turned the door knob and opened it getting out of the way and preparing herself, but there were no gunshots. Iris opened her eyes and looked at Finnick who still had his gun up but didn't shoot. Iris stepped back infront of the door and saw Gale standing there with tear stained cheeks. "Gale!" Iris said shocked, "what are you doing here?" "She asked me to protect her family and I couldn't even keep that promise." Gale whispered to himself. "Gale I need you to tell me why you're here." Iris said looking at Gale. Gale lifted his head looking from Iris to Finnick who still had his gun up. "I want to come with you." Gale said keeping an eye on Finnick. "Gale I don't know-" "She asked me to protect her family so that's what I am going to do!" Gale shouted making Iris flinch. "Gale-" "Iris I don't care what you say I will do anything and everything in my power to make sure everyone in that capital is dead." Iris just looked at him for a second. "Go pack you things...only items you really think you'll need." Iris said closing the door then looking out the window and watching Gale walk off the porch and back to his house. Iris turned to Finnick, "Was that the right move?" "I am going to be honest I don't know we need more people but I don't know if he is the kind of person we need." Iris looked back at the door, "He was a little blood thirsty and angry for my liking." "Exactly" Finnick said grabbing his and Iris's bag. "Oh let me get t-" "Nope I can carry it." Finnick said stepping out of the house. Iris looked around for a second then went and picked up lily and Buttercup walking out of the house and closing the door behind her. "I will put your family back... I promise." Iris said patting the house. Oh great now I am the crazy one...talking to a house. Iris thought rolling her eyes at herself.

  Iris walked onto the hovercraft setting the animals down for them to find a place to lay down. Surprisingly they went over and jumped on a chair then snuggled up together. Iris smiled at them then she heard footsteps coming onto the hovercraft. Iris turned around and saw Gale with a small bag of things that he set down on one of the seats before sitting down next to it. "Are you sure about this?" Iris asked him just making sure. "Yes I'm sure." Gale said nodding his head then looking at the ground. Iris headed up to the cockpit and saw Finnick sitting in the pilot seat. "You sure you know how to drive this thing?" "Yeah we had to learn after a few weeks of getting there. They made us learn every area of the battle field. I guess it turned out handy." Finnick set starting the hovercraft as its propellers started spinning. "But I do need a copilot." Finnick said looking up at Iris smiling. Iris smiled back then stepped back into the main room where Finnick was. "We will be up here if you need anything." Iris said as agape nodded his head then rested it against the back of the chair. Iris went back to the cockpit and sat in the copilot seat putting headphones on. "Testing testing." She heard Finnick said through the headphones. "I hear you loud and clear captain." Iris said smiling.