Chapter 2 - Conditions

"This isn't a great way to start the semester."

It had been three weeks, and Yunjin had already visited the room across the hall no less than six times on noise complaints. There was something about her tone that confused Chaewon. It was almost playful, teasing, but the seriousness of her set jaw and lowered eyes said otherwise. It seemed like she overthought every single interaction they've had, which had been quite a few. Aside from the school sanctioned reprimands, two days a week they left class around the same time, ending up waiting for the elevator together. The conversation never progressed past small talk, but every moment and glance felt loaded. She needed to know more about Yunjin, she was hell-bent on it. The mystery of Chaemin's words hung heavy over every interaction they had.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." Chaewon said, telling out of the doorframe to shut it behind her. Upbeat pop music thumped through the walls, vibrating the floor. "My friend's boyfriend just told her that he loves her for the first time, so she's a little excited."

"She can't be excited without making everyone else suffer?" Yunjin asked, ghost of a smile sneaking into the corners of her mouth. "Some people have work to do."

"Come on, it's not even quiet hours. I checked."

"I'm surprised you were able to log into your email." Yunjin said. She cocked a knowing eyebrow at Chaewon.

"I couldn't figure out my password for a while." Chaewon muttered quietly, avoiding Yunjin's eye.

"It's your student ID number and birthdate." Yunjin chuckled. It made Chaewon's breath catch. Never did she imagine that a laugh so small could sound so pleasant.

"Well, I know that now." Chaewon looked up at her quickly, to see her expression before staring back down at the carpet. She was unsure of how to continue the conversation, but desperately wanting to.

"Tell your friend she has ten minutes before I lower the music myself." Yunjin said. The transition from pleasant to serious was jarring. Chaewon looked up at her again, catching a mysterious gaze before Yunjin turned and retreated to the room across the hall. Chaewon sighed, disappointed that this wasn't the time for a longer interaction. She entered her own room to Eunchae lying back on her bed, grinning up at the ceiling. She looked over at Chaewon, waiting for the verdict.

"Yunjin says turn it down or she will." Chaewon relayed to her friend. She turned down the volume as she passed the speakers and hoisted herself up to sit on her bed.

"So does she love you yet, or what?"

"Manchae, come on. You did not set us up." Chaewon laughed, rolling her eyes.

"Well, eventually you'll have to have an actual conversation with her. Do you know how much time she spends in our doorway?" Eunchae raised an implying eyebrow at her.

"Yeah," Chaewon started, lifting herself onto her bed. "Probably a conversation about the future disciplinary action she'll take against us."

"Why don't you just go over there and talk to her?" Eunchae prodded, now turning so her legs dangled over the side of the bed.

"Why do you assume I want to talk to her?" Chaewon asked, crossing her arms defiantly.

Eunchae gave her a look.

"I'm serious." Chaewon said, shaking her head for emphasis.

"So am I." Eunchae laughed and rolled her eyes. "You act like we're not best friends. I know you. I see the way you look after you talk to her, and I know you always slam the door when you leave in the morning hoping she'll come out and yell at you."

"I do not!" Chaewon defended. "Just because you know I like girls does not mean that I like every girl."

"Obviously you don't like every girl." Eunchae said plainly. "Just Yunjin." Chaewon groaned in response.