Chapter 4 - A Classmate

Chaewon awoke to a hand on her shoulder. Her eyes were bleary as the sun streamed through in the window, she reached up to shield them with her arm. "It's on my desk. Just take it." Chaewon muttered, sure it was Eunchae looking to borrow her eyeliner again. Her head pounded in a dull way. Not quite a hangover, but it was obvious she didn't make it out of last night scot free.

"Chaewon." In her sleepy haze, Chaewon realized that it wasn't Eunchae that said her name. It was Yunjin. She shot upright in shock, looking quickly from side to side to get a sense of her surroundings. Once her eyes adjusted to the light, she realized she was in Yunjin's room, green sheets draped loosely over her legs. Momentary confusion resolved, Chaewon looked up at Yunjin who was standing next to the bed. She looked down at Chaewon apologetically.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." Yunjin said. It was obvious she was holding back a laugh, her lips were closed tight in a straight line, but her eyes were wide. It made Chaewon think of last night, of how much Yunjin smiled. She shifted awkwardly, bringing a hand to the back of her neck. The laugh disappeared from her eyes. "I was going to let you sleep but-" She raised the other to reveal Chaewon's phone, and held it out to her. "Your mom's called four times, and it doesn't look like she's planning on stopping. It could be an emergency." Her eyes were urging.

Chaewon took the phone from Yunjin, fighting the urge to laugh. Of course her mom would be calling. She hasn't called once since Chaewon left to start college, but it's only fitting that she would call just in time to embarrass her in front of Yunjin. The same Yunjin who's room she had slept in last night. Upon that thought, Chaewon looked down around herself, trying to figure out where Yunjin could've slept. Was there even space for the two of them? Out of the corner of her eye, Chaewon noticed a pillow and blanket on the floor. Did Yunjin seriously sleep on the floor? Was sharing a bed with someone you sort of knew really that big of a deal?

Chaewon thought again of last night, how obviously uncomfortable she was to be hugged, and realized that yeah. To Yunjin, it probably was a big deal. Before she could ask and get verbal confirmation, her phone rang again. Chaewon panicked, not knowing whether or not she should answer it in front of Yunjin. She wasn't sure what to expect from the call, but she knew it probably wouldn't be pleasant.

"I can step out, if you need me to." Yunjin said, almost as if she knew what Chaewon was thinking.

"I'm not gonna make you leave your own room." Chaewon chuckled. She considered going back to her own room, but then worried about what she'd be waking into. "Actually uh, if it's not too much trouble-" Chaewon frowned. Yunjin simply cocked an eyebrow at her before nodding and slipping out of the room.

Chaewon sighed and slid her finger across the screen to answer. "Five calls in a row? Guess I have a new stalker now." Chaewon said dryly into the phone.

"Not funny, Chaewon." She responded. It was almost weird to hear her mom's voice now. She hadn't gotten used to it yet.

"Well, who died?" Chaewon sighed.

"What are you talking about?" Jennie asked.

"Someone dying is the only acceptable reason to call five times in a row. So who was it?"

"You haven't called in a month." Jennie said sternly.

"You haven't called me!" Chaewon said defensively.

"Phones only work one way now, huh? You're an adult now, Chaechae. You should know better. I was worried about you." Chaewon let out a dry laugh in response. She didn't have to see it to know her mom was glaring at her. "Look, clearly, you're trying to punish me for-"

"Can we not go there?" Chaewon pleaded quickly. This was not the time or place. In fact, Chaewon wasn't sure anywhere would be the time or place.

"You can't just run away from your problems." Jennie said obviously.