Chapter 14 - New Year

"Can you like, stop trying to eat your way to Yunjin's heart for like three seconds?" Chaewon flinched. Sakura's voice was too loud to be so close to her ear. She reached up to where the phone was pinned between her head and shoulder to turn the volume down.

"Shut up," Chaewon groaned, reaching back into her dresser for more clothes.

"Ah, so you don't deny it," Sakura said.

"Was there a reason you called?" Chaewon asked, tossing a t-shirt across the room into a suitcase.

"Someone's testy," Sakura sniggered.

"I'm not," Chaewon sighed. "Just stressed about going home."

"Stressed about going home? Or stressed about not seeing Yunjin for two weeks?"

"I can't be both?" Chaewon asked, shifting aside some clothes in the drawer.

"So I take it you haven't talked to her yet?" Sakura asked.

"No," Chaewon sighed. "It's just- there hasn't really been a good time-"

"You literally live across the hall from each other," Sakura deadpanned.

"Yeah, I know, it's really been making it hard for me to think clearly-"

"Because you're too busy fucking-" Sakura said.

"No!" Chaewon defended. "Because we've been- hanging out a lot."

"And in all the time you've been hanging out there's somehow never been an opportunity to ask her what you guys are doing?" Sakura asked.

"I mean, ugh, there probably has but, I don't know. It's just weird. Things are good right now, we're good and everything is finally where I want it to be- I just don't want to mess everything up and have her shut down again," Chaewon sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Okay, but obviously things aren't where you want them to be."

"It's better than before," Chaewon said.

"If you say so," Sakura concluded, an obvious skeptic. "Anyway, I was calling to remind you about the party tonight since I'm sure you haven't been keeping track of the date in your haze of post-coiltial bliss"

"Oh my god-"

"What? Not judging, I've totally been there," Sakura chuckled.

"Right, when is it again?" Chaewon asked.

"Tonight," Sakura said obviously.

"Wait, like tonight tonight?" Chaewon asked incredulously.

"No Chaewon, I mean tomorrow tonight," Sakura said. Chaewon could practically hear the eye roll in her voice.

"I just can't believe it's already New Years, I was at your place for Christmas like two days ago" Chaewon said.

"That's what happens when you disappear into some sexcapade with your not girlfriend, you lose all track of time-"

"You would know all about that, wouldn't you?" Chaewon teased.

"Got me there, Chae," Sakura said humorlessly. "Anyway, come over soon, I could use a hand setting up."

"How soon is soon?" Chaewon asked. "I don't even know what I'm wearing yet."

"Soon is like, now. Don't wanna risk you disappearing with Yunjin and not coming back until next semester. You can borrow something."

"Fine," Chaewon sighed. "I just gotta go over and remind Yunjinnie about the party."

"Alright but if you're not here in a half hour I'm gonna show up there and embarrass the shit out of you," Sakura said.