Tryouts

The two eventually arrived at a massive area, even worse, a massive line. It wasn't a joke though, people were everywhere. The first thing the two noticed were the uniforms, turquoise suits with dark blue overalls. They noticed the signs, advertisement. The custom designed booths that would take potential candidates into the area for their tests. Most importantly however, was the area itself, the entire area was completely devoid and ripped of any grass and dirt, it was a giant pit of stone.

[Miles] "Holy... Shit..! Josh... What the hell am I looking at...?"

"THAT WOULD APPEAR TO BE A GIANT HOLE MY BOY..." [Josh]

[Miles] "Well- Yeah... but seriously... that's the test?"

"I WOULD ASSUME SO... BUT ITS HARD TO TELL FROM BACK HERE..." [Josh]

[Miles] "Yeah, You're right... This line is killing me..."

The two waited for what felt like centuries, making small talk and playing with Josh's bird as the line finally shifted in their favor, giving them a closer look into what was going on in the hole.

"OH NO..." [Josh]

Josh was the first to look, glancing in to see hundreds if not thousands of people digging away at stone at various levels in the hole, in fact, they were all being timed. It was a timed test to break... stone.

[Miles] "Out of all things, that's it?!"

"THIS LOOKS HORRIBLE..." [Josh]

[Miles] "Thats so cheap! I thought I was going to have to do something like 'proving my worth' or something!"

Before the two could discuss it any further, they found themselves at the front of the line. The receptionist looking up with a smile on her face.

"Welcome to The Miner's Association Tryouts Center! Which one of you is applying today?" [Receptionist]

[Miles] "Hi! That would be me, I wanted to apply for a miner's position."

"And you, Sir? Would you also like to participate?" [Receptionist]

Josh looked slightly nervous, shaking his head in refusal.

[Miles] "...No... He's my... Representative, He wants to watch."

"Alright then! Just a few questions and we can get you started." [Receptionist]

[Miles] "Alright- Cool then."

The receptionist guided Miles to a small seat beside her, while Josh found a spot nearby to watch. His concerned look on his face still never gave out, the parrot trying to ease his worry by nuzzling against his beard in response.

"For starters, the basics! What's your name hun?" [Receptionist]

[Miles] "Its... Miles."

"Birth Month?" [Receptionist]

[Miles] "January."

"Okayy... Address?" [Receptionist]

Miles froze, realizing he technically wasn't at an exact address. He glanced over at Josh, and Josh glanced back at him.

[Miles] "...I live in a cabin just off the outskirts of the marketplace.. just that way-"

"...oh.....kay...? Hmm... Have you ever mined before?" [Receptionist]

[Miles] "Yes, it's not nothing new to me. I haven't ever mined for a company though, just for myself..."

"Ooohh- Okay, thats good... How do you feel about mobs?" [Receptionist]

Miles froze, again, mentally preparing himself to lie... well, technically, he was training to be better with Enid, right?

[Miles] "...I'm okay with them, they're not an issue either."

"Great! What about dark, tight spaces?" [Receptionist]

[Miles] "Perfectly fine too."

"Any medical conditions, physical injuries, etc that you need to mention?" [Receptionist]

[Miles] "...No, everything's working as far as I can tell."

"Alright! That should be sufficient enough. I think you're a good candidate for our company Miles." [Receptionist]

[Miles] "Really? Awesome! What do I do now!"

"Well, first, I need you to sign here, here, and here. I am legally required to tell you about the risks of being a miner. Employees have the potential to suffer from physical labor, illness, or possibly death in the worst case scenarios. You need to really make sure you understand that before signing anything." [Receptionist]

Josh quietly gasped, in fact, it was so quiet Miles was almost startled by it, as Josh wasn't the type to be quiet at all. Josh however was anxious at this point, on the edge of his seat entirely.

"I need you to understand, you will be paid greatly, but there are good risks that come with this job, are you sure you wish to proceed with your application?" [Receptionist]

Miles went silent, genuinely thinking about the offer. He glanced over to Josh, whose worries appeared almost as fears... and then, he nodded at Josh.

[Miles] "..."

...Josh, although concerned, was eventually able to ease his nerves. He trusted Miles now, and although he worried, he knew he couldn't stop him.... so he nodded back.

"..." [Josh]

[Miles] "..."

"..." [Receptionist]

[Miles] "...Let's do it."

He signed his name.