Spotted

I woke up to the sound of conversation happening downstairs. I looked out the window and the sun was up. The problem was that I looked up and saw Enid still peacefully asleep in her bed. I was a tad bit confused as to who Josh could be talking to, so I decided to go and check it out.

I stood up and rubbed my eyes, I can't remember the last time I had some decent sleep, and after all the shit I just went through, I was surely thankful to have it.

I waited for a brief second before peeking out the hallway, one of the voices I could make out was Josh, who was also being loud again, and the other was someone I couldn't recognize.

This person sounded like they had a sense of authority, which worried me slightly. I slowly moved toward the stairs and could hear a few words here and there, they were both at the front door too.

The moment I stepped down far enough to see who Josh was talking to my heart froze, the guard had traced us here.

[Josh] "YES OFFICER, I LIVE ALONE, WHAT SAYS I DON'T-?"

"There's two fugitives on the run sir, and they were seen headed this direction." [???]

[Josh] "FUGITIVES? HOW TROUBLESOME! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?"

"They stole valuables from The Miners' Association and had fled from arrest. Thievery, if you will, sir." [???]

[Josh] "LET ME SEE THE SKETCHES AGAIN..."

I had heard enough and quietly crept back up the stairs. When I got back to the guest room I opened the window to the outside and peeked out, at least five guards were standing on the porch. However, we could exit around the back before we fled for the tree line again.

I stepped over to Enid and poked her in the forehead.

[Miles] "enid-..."

She didn't wake up.

[Miles] "enid... please wake up... right now.."

She mumbled something in her sleep but didn't wake up.

Miles grabbed her by the shoulders and firmly shook her.

[Enid] "h-Huh-? What?"

[Miles] "keep your voice down... grab your shit... we need to leave, right now."

Enid sat up although she was still half asleep.

[Enid] "what's- happening?"

[Miles] "the guard, the guard traced us here and now they're getting ready to search Josh's property to find us, we need to leave."

[Enid] "w-what-? but how? we literally were out of sight..."

[Miles] "i don't know and frankly i don't want to find out, now come on, we need to leave."

[Enid] "what about josh?"

[Miles] "i'll... i'll get him, but we need to go, now."

Josh suddenly appeared in the doorway behind the two, causing everyone to have a mini panic attack. He held a finger up to his lips to silence everyone as he continued to speak loudly.

[Josh] "YES! YES! I'M TRYING TO FIND MY GLASSES IS ALL! I CAN SHOW YOU THE REST OF MY HOUSE ONCE I FIND THEM, THEN MAYBE THOSE SKETCHES OF YOURS WILL MAKE SENSE!"