🕸️ Chapter 2 🕸️

"Morning, Paradox!" You said, smiling and waving at the dragon.

He ran towards you, dodging a few trees in the process before stopping beside you, having to catch himself from falling as his back plating scraped against a few things, curling his wings in a little.

Paradox roared at you, looking down at the map as you handed the dragon in apple, watching as he sat down beside you, his Stinger sheathing into his tail.

"We've got either Berserker Island or Berk." You said, letting the word 'Berk' sink in.

As soon as you said that, Paradox growled a little at the mention of Berk, but didn't give a roar or any physical response.

He remembered what happened at Berk, and how the two of you left the island multiple years back to protect Paradox from Berkians.

His tusks were sheathed, and the black outlining around his mouth was much more visible without his tusks.

"Or, we could try a different island, if you'd like." You hummed, pointing to a few unmarked islands. "Sound good to you?"

Paradox looked at the islands you pointed out before nodding.

His wings curled in beside him, the talons touching you a little as they shifted.

"There is Outcast Island, and I've heard they're allied with dragons, so I doubt you'd get any dragon food from there, but fish is probably gonna be abundant." You hummed, pointing to Outcast Island.

The unmarked islands stood for islands you haven't visited, and the marked ones stood for the ones you had visited.

You didn't plan to revisit islands in the same decade the last visit was in, let alone in the next five years.

When you didn't harvest from islands, it'd usually result in a small celebration and left tribes with nice decorations they'd keep up until Snoggletog came around, which was during the winter.

Paradox shook his head, usually preferring islands that had dragons available for grabs without him having to work for it.

You didn't know whether Berk was allied with dragons or not, but you knew Berk wasn't buddies with the Outcasts the last time you had heard anything about it.

Living outside the archipelago had its perks, but also its downsides.

"There's also the Besham Oiks, but I'm pretty sure they've got some sort of war going on with a different tribe.." You trailed off, tapping the desk with your nail.

Paradox looked at you and then back at the map, rolling his eyes, obviously not liking the idea of visiting an island in an active war and harvesting from there.

"That leaves Berk and Berserker Island, unless you want to visit the Meatheads." You hummed, tilting your head at the thought of actually going there.

It was an Island that was usually having a rivalry with Berk, specifically between Mogaden The Meathead and Stoick The Vast, Chiefs Of both tribes.

"They might offer up a few dragons, but I doubt it, since they're usually packing up for the winter at this time of year and don't risk themselves with a few dragons." You told Paradox, waving your hand a little for more expression. "That leaves of with The Feathers, Berk and Berserker Island."

Paradox's eyes fell on Berserker Island, using his tail to point to it, completely dismissing what you were speaking about earlier.

"Berserker Island..." you said, remembering everything that used to go on there. "It's, well, allied with dragons, that's for sure. Chief is Dagur The Deranged."

You pointed to the island, memories flooding back of your first time on Berserker Island, when you had went with your family and a few Vikings to meet Oswald The Agreeable.

It was a nice island, but some of the Berserkers were rather... odd.

This included the children.

Paradox then used his Stinger to point to Berk, which meant that was most likely the last choice, unless he changed his mind to do a different tribe, which would most likely be outside of the Archipelago since land was limited within it.

"Berk it is." You told him, patting his head as he adjusted himself a little. "Tomorrow I'll fix up my armour and my dagger, and we'll leave for Berk to scout, sound good to you?"

Paradox roared at you and nodded, still shifting which made the loud sound of leaves crushing beneath him, the grass turning slightly yellow or orange.

"You can go hunting now, since I need to mark down the island and put the map elsewhere." You said. "I already know how to get past Berkians and back without being caught."

You sighed after you said that, Paradox getting up and immediately going into the forest, disappearing into the bushes and tall grass as he lowered himself, his Stinger still visible.

You watched him for a few moments, before dipping your thumb into a wooden bowl filled with crushed red berries, that could be used as paint or dye.

After doing so, you pressed your thumb against the map, directly on where Berk was before taking it off and wiping your thumb up your clothing, too lazy to do it elsewhere.

"Exciting." You said sarcastically, frowning a little as you stared at the already marked island, knowing there was no turning back for it.

You had absolutely no idea whether Berk would offer up any dragons for Paradox to eat, though, you hoped they did.

If they didn't, there might be a small little problem.

Scouting Berk by itself felt absolutely foreign, since it's been a little while.

You looked over, seeing a smudged marking of a different island, it being referred to as 'Old Berk' after hearing that Berk had moved a little bit off the Archipelago.

You didn't know why, but you assumed you'd find out.

After hearing they moved in the Northern Market, you simply hoped it was true and you weren't being lied to by a merchant you talked to for a good hour.

You breathed out, and rolled up the map, tossing it to the side to leave it there, despite you knowing you were gonna grab it a little later, to mark it down as 'scouted' so that you wouldn't get confused for next Dreadfall.

Berk was something you knew you weren't gonna be too happy to go to, but you were interested in going.