12. Landmark night

•━━ ❦ ━━☠━━ ❦ ━━•

•━━ ❦ ━━☠━━ ❦ ━━•

Law studied medicine,

He had been learning in books since he could read, delving into the mysteries of the body and mind. He had learned to wield a scalpel, suture wounds, and had witnessed in numerous surgeries performed by his parents. He had been raised on an island with people who believed in God, in a higher power beyond even the population of Marie-Geoise.

Nevertheless, Law was a rationalist, a doctrine shared by most doctors, which sowed doubt in what Alessia had just told him.

She claimed to remember her past life, which implied nothing other than the fact that she had been reincarnated, a concept that Law had always refused to believe since Lammy had proudly announced that she had been a rice noodle in a previous life.

Lammy was Lammy, but Alessia was different. Alessia was older than her sister, more mature, and didn't complain about anything. Law couldn't think of anyone as unique as her at her age. While he might have given her a hard time initially, Alessia was the closest thing he had to a friend.

So, despite the absurdity of her words, Law wanted to believe her. He wanted to believe her when she said she knew more than she could express. He wanted to believe her when she cried and apologized for not remembering. He wanted to believe her when she talked about her past life. Law wanted to trust Alessia because, if Lammy had always announced absurd things with light-heartedness, Alessia had done it while crying, clutching her chest as if her memories were burning her from the inside, but from too far away to even reach the flames that consumed her, extinguish them, or blow them out of her body by speaking them loudly and clearly.

Past life or not, Alessia was haunted by what she remembered.

Past life or not, she feared that something might happen to him.

Past life or not, she was his friend.

Thus, seeing her so fragile, trembling, lost, and uncertain in the face of the enormity and strangeness of her own words, Law had told her that he believed her because he knew she was doubting herself, thinking she was insane, and her only refuge seemed to be the boy who was neither good at big speeches nor emotional outpourings.