Chapter 18: The Truth

yo yo yoooo i lovee food...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Jacob wasn't getting any better. I was waiting for him to get better, that was all I wanted. Last night I stayed at the hospital willing him to get up or just open his eyes, but by nine o'clock I had to go home. My father got home around eleven trying to hide a swollen face and I ignored him and went to bed. I actually started to do my homework and when no one was looking I actually payed attention in class.

     "Cai?" my father opened my bedroom door and took a seat at the edge of my bed. "What do you want for breakfast?"

     "Can you make pancakes?" I mumbled to him and wiped the sleep from my eyes.

     "Shiloh's making it so I'll tell her." he rose to his feet.

     "I'm not hungry then." I pulled the covers back up over my head.

     "Don't be like that. You need to get to know her." he insisted and flipped the light switch on.

     "I know that I don't like her." I groaned and he left me to get dressed. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a black sweater and left my hair down. The sounds of pots and pans clinking together made me realize that the wicked bitch was still here as much as I had tried to forget her.

     Something was burning in the kitchen and I rolled my eyes only to find my father basically doing the same thing as we watched Shiloh try to get breakfast together.

     "It will be done in a few minutes." she stuffed a few things into the oven and wiped her forehead with the back of her hand.

     "Okay." I sat in the seat across from my father and we waited in silence as Shiloh messed around with some other shit.

     "So I was thinking that we could all have a nice dinner tonight with some of our friends and I could hire someone to cook." Shiloh proposed and sat down in the third empty seat at the table.

     "Can't I have school stuff and I have to go check up on Jacob at the hospital."

     "Family is important you can't just neglect family, and since we are a family you need to stop going to the hospital so much and pitch in."

     "We are not a family and you can suck my-"

     "Cai. I think its time to catch the bus don't you?" my father interrupted and I slipped some shoes on and grabbed my bag.

     "What about breakfast?" Shiloh called out.

     "I'll eat at school." I yelled over my shoulder and headed out to catch the bus. It was days like these that I wished I could just drive my car to school, but my dad was right. I was too distracted.

     "Cai!" Rebecca called to me and I slowly made my way over to her. I guess we were friends now kind of.

     "Hey." I slid into the chair next to her and she started conversation. It was weird, as much as she tried to be my friend again and as much as I forgave her I still just didn't like her.

     "Are you even listening to me?" she asked as we pulled up in front of the school.

     "Nope." I answered her and got off the bus. Today was going to be a long day and I watched as Rebecca once again made her way to Logan and he smiled at her. Maybe I should have been happy that she was getting her man, or maybe I should have been upset that she lied about their relationship, but I was just angry that I didn't have anyone to smile at me anymore.

     The school bell pulled me from my thoughts and I walked to my first class of the day which I guess was a free because I didn't feel like going to the assigned class on my time table. The library was the best place to be and I settled in between the fifth and sixth row of book shelves with a magazine.