Chapter 10: In the Meantime...

heyy soo just wanted to say thanks for sticking with this storyy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dwayne POV:

*4 years ago*

     "You gave us all quite a scare there. The boys kept begging me to see you, so we waited until you woke up to come see you." my mom spoke the most she had since she heard about the accident. "I think I'll just go now." she ran out and I could hear her breaking down in the hallway. I could see Caira trembling in her bed, a bandage wrapped securely around her head.

     "What day is it?" she asked, voice hoarse and shaky.

     "Monday." Andy replied, a grin forming on his mouth.

     "So I've only been sleeping for a couple of hours?" she asked barely a whisper.

     "No you've been asleep for a week." I finally spoke up and looked directly into her beautiful eyes. I didn't get to look into them often with her turning away from me or looking down at my feet, much like she was now.

     "Why are you here?" she asked finally and I wanted to laugh.

     'I'm here because I love you.' I wanted to say but instead, "Cause' we want to see our favorite girl." which was the truth….. well…. my favorite girl. I grinned at the irony. "Why don't we play a game." I suggested and all the idiots agreed. Except for Max, who was the only one smart enough to know what was really going on.

     "The numbers game!" Logan shouted. I really didn't want to play the numbers game, but due to a silent agreement my brothers all pulled up chairs and sat down. I sat near her head so I could be closest to her. She seemed dizzy, and all I wanted to do was reach out and hold her pale hands. 

     "Okay so no one can say seven." I informed everyone.

     "One!" Andy shouted. I looked at Caira along with everyone else, but I was checking to see how she was. All of the shouting seemed to be taking a toll on her.

     "Two." she whispered.

     "Three." I whispered, trying to help her. I never wanted her to be in pain, just seeing her hurting like this hurt me too.

     "Four!" Logan shouted obnoxiously.

     "FIVE!!" Manny screamed, and Caira seemed to fade.

     "Six." Andy laughed.

     "Se-se-seven." she passed out and I bent over her. I pressed my cheek to her forehead before sitting up and summoning the nurse.

     "Why are you acting like you care about her?" Manny punched my arm.

     "I don't… I'm not." I stuttered and pulled a pen from the container on the side table. There was a pad of post-its situated in front of it and I scribbled something down:

     You weren't supposed to say the number 7, you lost.

-Dwayne :)

     The rest of my brothers all filed out of the room after I showed them the note. I waited until they were all gone before I leaned over her again and pressed my lips gently to hers. A nurse came in and interrupted and I cleared my throat and handed her the note to give when Caira woke up.

     It was early when we all went to bed, Mom having another breakdown and sending us to our rooms. I took a quick shower and climbed up the ladder to my bunk bed. Max plopped down on his bed below me, and we didn't speak. Two hours went by in dark silence when I finally let go and cried.