Chapter Twelve

‘Do you want to meet my family?’ Zayn said, a little more casual than what you would expect. I was leaning against the window of the car with my eyes closed when he asked me so I quickly opened my eyes and looked at him. He kept his eyes on the road before giving me a quick glance while he waited for my answer.

‘Already?’ I asked. We weren’t even in a relationship yet he wanted to introduce me to his family. If we ever did become boyfriend and girlfriend, I would put off him meeting my family for as long as possible aka my mum and sister. I didn’t mind him meeting Marius or Denzel (because he already had) because they were the only family members I got along with, most of the time. He probably would never meet my dad seeing as I had no idea when I would see him next.

‘I need to go over there to collect something and I want to spend today with you…’ He explained and I then understood. I nodded and let him know that I was okay to go with him and he took a different route to the one we can come in. Soon later we pulled up outside a middle sized house in a small street. I got out of the car and gulped as I stared at the house, my body becoming slightly weak and my heart racing. Zayn walked towards the gate and I quickly grabbed his wrist.

‘They’re going to hate me Zayn.’ I said and he stared at me in disbelief.

‘Why are they going to hate you?’ He laughed and my grip on his wrist became tighter, pulling him closer to me.

‘I don’t really get on well with families except my friends.’ I informed him but instead of frowning he smiled. He came even closer and kissed my cheek lightly.

‘If they hate you, fuck it. I like you and that’s all that matters.’ He whispered into my ear before sliding his arm around my back and leading me down the path to his front door. He pulled out a set of keys and unlocked the door, allowing us access into the house. I followed him down the hall and into the kitchen where his mum and little sister Safaa were baking.

‘Hello Mum.’ Zayn said as he walked towards her, wrapping his arms around her. You could tell by the look in her eye that she absolutely adored her only son and was extremely pleased to see him. He ruffled his little sister’s hair before hugging her also.

‘You must be Danayi, I’m Patricia!’ His mum said, she came over to me and gave me a tight hug. I smiled as I hugged her back, she seemed like the typical mum that most people have.

‘It’s really nice to meet you.’ I replied.

‘Zayn has told us a little bit about you. Your father is south African right?’ She asked as she washed her hands in the nearby sink.

‘Yeah, he lives in Cape Town now but he lived here for around fifteen years I think.’ I was trying my best to be polite so I hoped it was working. Zayn was now standing next to me as his mother and I continued in conversation.

‘Are you Zayn’s girlfriend?’ Safaa spoke up the second it became silent. Zayn and I let out a nervous laugh because that topic was slightly awkward for us still.

‘No Safaa, not yet.’ He said, shooting me a cheeky grin and wink before bumping my hip. I giggled at his response while Safaa sat up on the counter with her arms crossed as she stared at us.

‘Why not yet?’ She asked with her eyebrows raised, she asked A LOT of questions.

‘Because you have to keep the boy chasing love.’ Patricia spoke up and gave me a quick glance with a similar grin that Zayn had given me. The back door soon opened and Zayn’s father was now also in the kitchen.

‘Alright son.’ He said while giving him a light pat on the back.

‘This is Danayi Dad, Zayn said she isn’t his girlfriend, yet’ this kid was freaking hilarious but my nerves were stopping me from enjoying her humour.