Freundin

🎧please use the music provided above for a better experience🎧

TOKYO, JAPAN

February 12, 2011

It's been a challenging two months since we moved to Tokyo for safety. We're staying at Tom's house, trying to figure out our next steps. Tom's contacts in Germany are still trying to locate my dad, and my house there stands empty. We're unsure whether he's still in Germany or has returned to Italy.

We also discovered that the daughter the man mentioned is my older sister, who's just a year older than me. It turns out my mom learned about my dad's affair and my older sister's existence while she was pregnant with me, yet she stayed with him to keep up appearances. This might explain why my parents argued a lot. Still, we can't locate my sister; she doesn't have a fixed location. We aren't sure where my father had the affair or if her mother had any real ties to the mafia.

On the bright side, all this uncertainty just gives me more time to prepare.

Tom's house is quite large and even has a shooting range in the basement, unlike our houses in Germany. I've been spending a lot of time downstairs, practicing for the day I'll have to confront my father. Surprisingly, I've developed a liking for guns, especially sniping. I've become quite skilled with the M110 semi-automatic sniper rifle, a powerful American military-grade weapon. Sometimes, Tom takes me with him to the woods; he's into deer hunting. His house is filled with mounted deer heads and even a stuffed bear, which is kind of eerie. I've joined him on these hunting trips and gained a high level of accuracy in taking down targets with a single precise shot. I've become so skilled that the others have teasingly suggested I should be considered "one of the men."

I must say it's really impressive how Tom has made quite a name for himself here in Japan. Everywhere we go, people let us skip lines, and when we drive, everyone clears the lanes, giving us practically the whole highway to ourselves. The police don't even seem to mind. It's such a guilty pleasure.

Tom even gifted me a new car, so I can get around when they're gone on their business nights. The car is beautiful, a hot pink Skyline R34. It's fast and adorable with a black interior featuring pink accents. He's trying to teach me how to drift, but I'm terrible at it. I almost wrecked the car on the second day of owning it, nearly giving Tom a heart attack.

The girls are hanging in there. Morgan woke up a few days after her surgery, which was a relief. As for Lauren, something about what those men did to her has made her jumpy. She's really sensitive to loud noises, and even when Gustav tries to give her a hug from behind, she flinches. I haven't had the heart to ask her about it; I don't want her to have to relive it by talking about it. I think she's just not ready yet.

Regarding my relationship with Tom, I'd say we've grown closer, much closer. However, my feelings are all over the place. He's so unpredictable. One moment he's affectionate and treats me like his girlfriend; the next, he's distant and barely acknowledges me or has angry outbursts, but he's never laid a hand on me. Bill tells me it's for the best when he gets distant, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. He would brush it off every time I asked him to explain.

———

February 13, 2011

It's 4 in the morning, and I can't sleep. Tom is sprawled out like a starfish, taking up most of the bed and blanket. I couldn't muster the energy to wrestle it back from his slumbering form.

I decided to go to the basement for some shooting practice. The walls down there are soundproof, so I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone. I find myself down here most nights when sleep evades me. It's become somewhat of a routine, a way to clear my mind and keep myself going.