11 - Humans and Circelians

Jasper didn't say anything, and I turned my gaze towards the horizon

– I don't need super hearing, or sneaking around to find out what you Circelians think about us. You are way too obvious.

I heard the earth shift under Jasper's footsteps, and assuming he would leave, I made no effort to stop him.

– Asteria – he said and stood between me and my view of the landscape.

I looked up.

– What do you want, Jasper? Do you want to keep making fun of me, like your friends? Because if that's the case, I really don't have time for that – I said annoyed, and pushed one of his legs to get him away from him.

– Hey – he said, grabbing my wrist when I tried to push him again, and he crouched down to be at my height – We don't think that...

I simply watched him with a wry smile, and interrupted him.

– Do you think I don't realize now that you look at humans as if we were insects? If this was all an act, you can stop.

– I was joking...and yes, I admit it, I still don't like humans as a society. But you're...

– Different? – I laughed sarcastically, and slowly released my hand from his – I don't like humans too much either, but I think what you said was directed at a particular person.

-Holy Goddess. You've got it all wrong, Asteria – he said, and then he let out a laugh that seemed out of place –. I really think you're different – Jasper looked at me and didn't continue until I looked up – And I'm sorry, okay? I truly apologize if what you heard bothered you.

– Okay, good... can you move now? I was trying to watch the sunset.

Instead of insisting, Jasper moved and sat next to me, just outside the confines of my blanket.

– And I thought that because you were from another planet you guys would be above that kind of thing.

I placed my arms crossed on my knees, and remained with my eyes on the sun that was about to touch the horizon.

– Tess was the one who said things about your body, but I don't agree with her –. Jasper explained calmly – I said innocently because I didn't remember a better word. Genuine or kind perhaps would have been better choices. And what I said about it not being contagious, I meant that I hoped you wouldn't become cruel, like the rest of humans.

I took a deep breath, as a soft and warm breeze began to ripple through the air. I couldn't really stay angry like it was something terrible, when it had just been a misunderstanding.

– Do all Circelians have powers like Denu?

– No, not at all. The telekinesis that Denu has is rare, and there are some rarer powers than that, too.