8 - Here for a reason

A few minutes later, I found myself walking on the fourth floor of the Hubble Building, which, being the tallest building, was strategically located in the middle of the base

A few minutes later, I found myself walking on the fourth floor of the Hubble Building, which, being the tallest building, was strategically located in the middle of the base. I soon arrived at the place where the first class would be held, and upon crossing the threshold of the open double doors, I found myself in a staggered room, with 3 levels consisting of concentric semicircular tables that on each level were subdivided every two seats.

The lesson had not yet started, and the very tall, middle-aged man who I assumed was the teacher, was arranging some papers on the long table, at the front of the class and in front of the whiteboard.

Without wasting any time, I walked to one of the empty tables in the second row and sat down. I then proceeded to grab my sketchbook and a pencil, then finally placed my backpack on the vacant chair next to me.

It was a little strange to be in a classroom again, on a first day, wondering who each person sitting there was, who my friends would be, and who I would have adventures with. It seemed like a naive approach to a situation like this, but I wanted to keep my mind open. After all, we were only meant to learn, for now.

Just listen, I told myself. And then I took a deep breath. The room smelled like a pleasant amalgam of different perfumes, mixed with the aroma of new furniture and new books, the latter ones carefully placed on each place at each table.

Out of curiosity, I picked up the one in front of me and read the cover: "Life on Circelus: a description and comparison of extraterrestrial life."

Just as I was about to open the book, suddenly the light in front of me was slightly blocked by someone standing in front of my desk.

-Hey, you're in my seat- a girl's voice called me without any level of kindness, and I looked up.

The girl was probably a little taller than me, slim, with delicate Asian features, framed by black hair with a Long Bob cut.

- Oh, I didn't see that they had names - I responded without making a problem.

Next, she effortlessly peeled off a small metal plate that had been in front of the table, and abruptly placed it on the surface, displaying her name.

How kind, I thought, and without flinching I grabbed my backpack and stood up.

- Nice to meet you, Tess - I said sarcastically.

As I turned around, a ball of paper unexpectedly collided with my chest.

Wow, less than 5 minutes and it already feels like my old school days. I raised my eyebrows, somewhat disappointed, and when I looked up I realized who the culprit had been.

Jin, the girl I had met before the medical tests, greeted me from the table in the front row, literally in front of the one I had just gotten up from.

- Hey Asteria, that's your seat - she pointed to the table next to her, right in the center of the class. Of course in the first row, and sitting in the chair next to it, a guy.