14 - Lack of explanations and excess of alcohol

-The first couple is conformed by Briar Johnson, from the United States, Representative of Earth – said the woman who presented – and Zedenu Kamereth, Representative of the Planet Circelus

Both of them, with some confusion, stood up and walked towards the stage. There, two assistants in gray suits gave Briar and Denu a silver ring each, so they could put it on each other.

After that, the two stood on the left side of a two-tier semicircular platform on the stage. Of course, there was brief, joyful applause, but I noticed how both Briar and Denu seemed confused under the layer of false composure.

Suddenly, a dark thought crossed my mind, just as I was wondering who would come next.

But I didn't have to wait much longer.

– The second couple is conformed by Asteria Vidal Alvarado, from Chile, Representative of Earth – the voice of the woman who was presenting resonated in the place, and making an effort to contain my nerves, I stood up while she added: – And Jaesperiden Ther Noktus, Representative of planet Circelus.

For a moment, my brain, frozen by a bit of stage fright, couldn't make the connection. But when I murmured the name to myself, I knew.

Jaesperiden.

Jasper.

The owner of the name stood right next to me and held my hand as we both walked towards the stage.

Arriving at the center of attention, we stood face to face and were handed the same silver rings with a flat part for the Alliance logo.

Jasper looked at me, and I couldn't figure out if he was angry, worried, or nervous, or all three at the same time. But we continued like the previous pair and put the rings on the fourth finger of each person's left hand.

After that, as people cheered, we stood right next to Denu and Briar and looked at the crowd in front of us.

– Are you OK? – Jasper said close to me.

– Yeah.

Technically I was fine, but my mind was full on overthinking what had just happened. Why the rings? Why put us in pairs?

Before I found a decent answer, the host's voice spoke again, this time calling out to Jin and Kyle. And after giving each other the rings, they came to us.

– What just happened? – Jin murmured, but Kyle stopped her.

– Not now, Jin. After the ceremony, now they are recording us – said the Circelian young man, and he was right.

Needless to say, they were both as confused as the rest of us, as were the next couples, Enzo and Lemirias. Then Vicky and Lexa, followed by Nav and Tess, and finally a boy named Fadwa and the Circelian girl named Claire.

We all stayed standing for the presentation of the scientists, and after mentioning their names and their specialties, the 7 took the stage. While that was happening, they gave each of the 14 representatives a card that on one side had the order of the newly formed couples.