Chapter 6: Reese

I know for a fact that Miles wasn't jobless like he told me when we saw each other again. But I decided to play along. I love him, and breaking up with him was the hardest thing I've done in my life.

I knew he was married, and he told me he sold the house where they used to live and bought a different mansion for us. I didn't mind living in the previous one, but he was determined to start everything with me from zero.

"Fucking assholes!" I heard Miles.

I went to the living room, and he threw his briefcase against the wall.

"What happened?"

"My dad put Jake as the new CEO, and guess who just got demoted as a janitor?"

"Why? You're really good at your job. What happened?"

He sighed. "Reesee, if I tell you what happened and what I've done, you'll leave me in five seconds flat, and I can't lose you again."

"Try me, we're engaged, there shouldn't be any secrets."

He kissed me and then dragged me to the couch.

He told me everything he did to his ex-wife and their daughter. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I'm having a hard time believing that the man I've been in love since high school could've actually done something so horrible like that.

"Miles, as much as I love you, you do deserve the punishment your dad is giving you."

"I know, karma is hitting me really hard."

"What about your daughter? Do you want to be in her life? Do you even want kids with me?"

"I want everything with you." He pulled me to his lap. "I've been a horrible person, change isn't easy for me, but I'm trying and as for Aurora, being in her life is going to be hard, Imogen, wants nothing to do with me."

"I don't blame her, you threw them in the middle of the night, Miles. Do you even regret it?"

"I do, but at that moment, I wasn't thinking. I just wanted my life back. Marrying Imogen wasn't in my plans, and neither was Aurora. We got married cause of her."

"You gotta ask for her forgiveness and be in your daughter's life. She's innocent." I caressed his face.

"How can you be so understanding?" He interlaced our fingers.

"Because I'm a good person. And you have some major work ahead of you. Be the old Miles that made me fall for him." I pecked his lips and then went to the kitchen.

I love him so much, but he needs to work on his anger issues and attitude, at least towards other people.

Imogen

Two months passed, Aurora was eight months old,  and she was growing healthy. I've been working out too and have lost 30 pounds, is not much, but I feel better with myself. As for Jake, he visits a lot. His excuse is his niece, but Grace has him bewitched.

"Grace, are you and Jake in a secret relationship?" I teased her.

"What, no, no, no." She said in a heartbeat. "We're just friends."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, I want to believe that he likes me, but we're from different social statuses. Besides, I can't offer him much." She gave me a half smile.

"Jake is the sweetest man you'll ever meet. I think you should give him a chance to see how things will go."

She sighed. "Okay, I'll trust you. I've been hurt before, and giving someone a chance is hard."

"Jake is worth it."

She just nodded and then returned to her chores. I returned to Aurora's room and found Pierre, singing her a lullaby on the rocking chair. If only Pierre was Aurora's father.

"She was wide awake, so I decided to sing her a lullaby until you returned." He said.

"Thank you, you have a great voice. You're a man of many talents, Pierre."

He chuckled. "You have no idea, Imogen."

Was that with double intention? Maybe I'm imagining things. Last I checked, Pierre was dating some girl he met at one of his business parties.

"Thanks for caring about her." I smiled as I approached them and then grabbed Aurora.

"It's no problem. She's adorable. Makes me want to have one of my own." He lightly pinched her cheeks.

"Well, maybe your girlfriend can give you one."

"Well, seeing as I don't have a girlfriend, that will be hard." He replied.

"What about that girl you were photographed with? I mean, it's all over the magazines."

"That is Katie Song. She's a pastry chef, and we were just talking about putting her desserts on my restaurant. But you know how paparazzi are. They take everything out of context."

"Ah, that's true." I said as I changed Aurora's diaper.

I felt him behind me, and he whispered in my ear, "Jealousy looks so good on you."

"I wasn't jealous. I was just saying that-" I sighed. "You're awful."

He laughed. "I'm good at reading people. Anyway, I have to go to the restaurant today, want to come?"

"I'd love to." I smiled.

So, no girlfriend in the picture. That's good. That doesn't mean anything, though. I still have more weight to lose in order for him to notice me. Guys knowadays, just want skinny girls.