Chapter 42 | The Border

Ullr held Selene's hand tightly

The two were bundled in winter clothing, though Ullr wore less than his tiny wife.

Her husband left Baldur to decide who would take Ek's new position while they were gone. Vor spent most of her time taking care of children, volunteering as a babysitter for busy parents, and beginning the long process of regaining the tribe's trust.

Aun was completely different. He spent less time around tribe members as he recovered from public humiliation.
Selene would've thought the tribe members would become hateful or scared of their god, but they seemed more faithful than ever. She heard constant chatting about how mighty and impressive he was for protecting his wife.

She blushed when she heard the mention of it. Their view of Ullr had greatly improved.
Sometimes, it scares her how faithful one could be to one's god.

They were going to Washington, America. It would mean they would have to pass the American border and hope for the best. She knew it was the last place she saw Signey and possibly some familiar people, but other than that... she remembered nothing.

This amnesia is really getting on her nerves.

With her oversized scarf, jacket, and backpack- the woman followed her husband with her hand clutching his warm one.

Due to his superior height, his strides were long and quick, making Selene work harder to follow him. She was starting to breathe hard, and her legs ached.

It was cold, too. This is why she doesn't like walking during the winter.

"Are you tired?" Ullr asked, slowing his strides to look back at her.

She smiled kindly. "No, I'm okay," the woman said softly.

Suddenly- she was being raised into the air. Ullr held her close like a baby koala, completely unbothered by the added weight. Selene knew his backpack was packed to the brim with supplies for their journey, so his strength was commendable.

She gasped, but the surprise was gone. At this point, her husband had teased or picked her up so much that she'd gotten semi-used to it. At times, he'd carry her around like his favourite teddy bear. Pushing away the scarf- He nuzzled his nose against her bare neck, his beard scratching her skin.

"You're a bad liar." He'd say, voice muffled.

Selene smiled and rested her chin on his shoulder, "I try my best."

With a hearty chuckle and a shake of his head, the massive Nord continued to carry his wife for the rest of the way to the border. Nothing could convince him to set her down.

Hopefully, the border won't be an issue.