Morning Routine

Lazy Morning routine

I woke up to see Maya still sleeping beside me. Things are different now. She doesn't wake up at 5am to go on runs. Sneaking out of bed, not caring that she leaves me alone in the limited time that we do get to spend together. That isn't the case anymore. She's here, with me at 9 am still sleeping.

I squirm back down into my pillow. Rubbing my face against the smooth fabric. Technically it's not my pillow, but hers. We had swapped sides of the bed last night in the frenzy of events that transpired. We were both too tired to roll back to each other's side. Sometimes, I think it's weird that couples have a specific side of the bed. Maya and I don't really stick to one. We have our own pillows for our own comfort, but sides of the bed, not really. Maybe it's because a lot of the time with our 24 hours shifts, we end up not sleeping beside each other. Our designated spaces are taken over by the other person. Whenever I miss Maya, I always sleep on her side, and it then becomes my side. And the cycle continues.

My thoughts of bed patterns had lulled me back into a brief sleep. We both had the day off so we were going to go through our "day off activities", including our morning routine. I was woken up with a kiss from my wife.

"Hello beautiful," she said, her voice still raspy. Secretly her morning voice was my favourite and I cherished it every time I got to hear it.

"Morning, bella," I said back giving her a kiss before rolling out of bed. I decided we were both going to shower. As I walked to the bathroom I began to take off my pajama set piece by piece. I could feel the weight of my wife's stare. By the time I got to the door, I turned and asked, "You coming?"

She nodded her head, "Yes, yes, uh I'm coming" clearly speechless. She quickly pulled the comforter off of herself and scurried towards the bathroom, trying not to trip over her clothes as she tore them off.

I quickly entered inside and got into the shower, turning on the water to the temp we both prefer. Maya followed in soon after. I had already gotten my hair wet and the rest of my body. I slowly walked towards her. I ran my hands across her shoulders and down her back, slowly spinning her around to go under the water. She closed her eyes and let out the smallest sigh. Bella, bella, bella. I couldn't do without her.

I got some shampoo and started to knead it into her scalp.

"Carina," she let out, "That feels so good. Your fingers are magic,"

I laughed at her remark. I think she was too entranced to understand what she just said. I'd bring it up later.

"Thank you bella, I'm glad you're enjoying this," I moved closer as I rinsed out the last bit of shampoo. Once it was rinsed out, I hugged her. I just wanted to feel her, know that she was here with me. She hugged me back with the same tightness. After being separated, our statements of physical touch meant so much more to both of us. It acknowledged that we were here for each other and weren't going there. How we couldn't take our moments for granted.

She had her head in the crook of my neck, giving me a slight kiss. The warmth of it, of her lips, was warmer than the shower water. It sent heat throughout my whole body.

We finished up in the shower and were wrapped in our robes. I let Maya walk out of the bathroom first. I just wanted to see her figure. The way the robe would fall off her toned body and she would put on her sports bra, so methodically as to not get it tangled in her wet hair. I liked to sit and watch her in her natural element, and she never seemed to mind.

She began to put on a show, teasing me and laughing. "Do you like that?" she joked.

"Yes, very much so" I said sincerely, "Quite frankly, I'd prefer it if you faced towards me when getting ready. Although your the view of your back is sei bellisima bambina," She turned away quickly. I knew she was blushing.

"Oh don't be shy bella," I laughed, "You weren't one minute ago were you?"

Seeing Maya flustered was always the highlight of my day. Someone that usually so calm and collected in front of everyone except for me. She's been letting me in, letting me see all of her. I quickly through on a baggy t-shirt, underwear and jeans. I put my hair up into a loose braid and moved into the kitchen to make us coffee.

I heard Maya trying to sneak in as the coffee machine was grinding the beans. Nice try bambina. She snaked her hands around my waist, pressing me into the counter.

"Bambina!" I said in a shocked tone. My body's response did not match that of my mind. I could feel myself sink into her. She was holding me up and it felt so nice. I could feel her breathing against my back, it soothed me.

"I love you" she said, so calmly. So casually. There was no doubt in her mind, no wavering fear of something that could tear us apart again. I wasn't there yet. Yes, I had said that I loved her back. But after the hospital, the love between us wasn't the same anymore. I think that I still struggle with it. How could someone that loves me with all their heart, say those things about me. About Andrea? She wanted to hurt me, make me feel all the pain she was feeling. And she did so with malice. It's something that I can't forget. I try so hard to.

"Ti amo bambina," I said casually as well. I could feel her smile against my skin. She peppered my cheeks with kisses.

"The coffee smells delicious by the way. I still don't understand how to use the mocha pot,"

I turned towards her and put my hands across her wrists, moving her arms down to her sides.

"You can't be too forceful bella," I moved my hands up and down on her wrists, "You have to let the pot control you, move with the pot,"

"Okay master, I understand the way of the mocha pot," she joked.

I played along, "Yes, my willful student, the forces and nature of the pot have been studied by Italians for hundreds if not thousands of years. You too will learn, as in an Italian marriage, this is a requirement"

"I kinda like this master, student thing going on here," Maya completely flipped the subject. Always so dirty minded. I raised an eyebrow and leaned in to kiss her passionately.

"Tonight," was all I had to say as she nodded her head yes enthusiastically.

We sat at the kitchen table, drinking up our coffees and the natural sunlight. I looked into the beautiful blue eyes of my wife. I could see the tranquility, the calm after the storm. We were in a new place, a new love, and I couldn't wait for our bambinos to join us in our morning routine.