Snowy Morning

The first day of snow

I woke up to an extremely cold house. The room was exceptionally bright and Carina was cuddled into my chest, most likely to stay warm. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I could see the reasoning behind the cold room. It had snowed last night, the first one of the year. It was completely unexpected. Carina is not going to be happy.

My plan for a morning run had clearly changed, as running outside in the snow is too dangerous as Carina says. So I could go to the treadmill, but at the same time, the house is too cold to get up from under these covers. I decided to cuddle with my wife for more warmth.

I shimmied down and wrapped my arms around her torso, my forehead resting on hers. Her deep breaths were soothing, and I was quickly lulled back into sleep.

"Bambina," I heard Carina whisper. I was not ready to wake up yet and groaned in response. Thirty seconds later she grabbed my arm and shook it,

"Bambina!" I slightly opened my eye to look at her hovering over me.

"Mm, what is it?" I croaked.

"The house is freezing," she said while falling on top of me, adding more warmth to my bundle of covers.

"Yeah, it snowed last night," I responded, trying to see what she was getting at.

"Bambina, the house is cold. I can't get up..." she paused to hint, tucking a piece of hair out of my face and giving me a kiss on the cheek.

I kissed her back, "But we could just stay here, in the warmth..." I tried to persuade her. I pulled one of the straps of her sleep shirt off her shoulder.

"No, no. None of my clothes are coming off until the house is a few degrees warmer," she said, denying my insinuation.

I rolled my eyes and sat up, slowly pushing her off me. She was right, the house was freezing. My feet and hands were cold. I quickly pulled on a sweater and socks and made my way to the thermostat. I cranked the heat as much as I could. At this point, I did not care about the utility bill. I just needed my wife and myself to be warm enough to start our day.

I quickly ran back to our warm bed and jumped in. "Done!" I said crawling back towards the heat source that is my wife. I put my icicle hands on her stomach.

"Maya! Don't!" she screamed while I laughed. That's what she deserved after making me get out of bed.

"You don't like my hands?" I questioned while slowly moving my hand up her torso and cupping her breast. She hissed in response, the cold probably making things too sensitive.

"I just don't like your cold hands. But I think that if I get your blood circulating in other ways, they may warm up. Do you agree bella?" she asked, with a wicked smile on her face. I nodded my head yes. She straddled me and then leaned down to kiss me passionately. My hands moved up to her waist. She took them in her hands and placed them down on the mattress above my head.

"Your hands are too cold bella. No touching," she said.

"Okay fine," I leaned back up to resume our kiss. Carina's hands were under my shirt, roaming my skin. They were also cold, but I wasn't going to say anything. I was very much enjoying it.

After a while, we realized that we were both too cold to take our clothes off and go any further. We decided to continue to cuddle, giving each other light kisses. After about 30 minutes, the house had warmed up to a suitable temperature. I decided to get out of bed and make some coffee for my beautiful Italian wife.

When I came back in the room, I could see her eyes light up to the sight of the steaming mugs.

"Grazie mille," she said while quickly taking it in her hands and bringing it to her lips. She hummed in satisfaction.

"You've been getting better bella," I smiled. I had been working hard at trying to get the magic of Italian coffee preparation down. Anything I could do to make my wife happy, I would. And coffee helped her feel at home, a little cup of Italy every morning. I wanted to make her feel at home.

I tried some of my own coffee, and yes she was right. It tasted really good for a newbie like me. We drank our coffees in silence, exchanging glances with each other. I was looking her over, up and down. How beautiful my wife is. Not just physically, but emotionally. She brings life into this world every day. Never for her own glory. Selflessly devotes her life to mothers and women in Seattle and now all across the US. Could I say the same for myself? Anybody could be a firefighter, not everyone could be an OBGYN.

"So what's the plan for today? I have to go into work but not until 7," I said

"Well we are definitely not going outside until we absolutely have to," Carina said looking outside and grimacing at the snow. She continued, "I was thinking of doing some baking. Mama's biscotti, always warms me up with espresso. Thoughts?"

"Sounds great to me. Is there anything I could help with?"

"Not really, it's better if you just don't touch it bella. Baking is a science, and that's not exactly your area of expertise, si?"

"Yes," I agreed. I would happily just snack on the dough, and final product. "I can do the dishes?" I asked

"Ah yes, that sounds like a plan," she said back smiling.

We had our day set out for us. We were going to be in our home, with each other. Snacking, talking, catching up without the distraction of our busy lives. And I couldn't be happier.