Picnic at dusk part 2

We had just gotten out of the shower and were lying on our bed wrapped in our towels. Carina was on her side facing me, her right arm stroking across my collarbone.

"Bambina," she said hazily. I hummed in response.

"I may have planned something for us tonight," she continued.

Oh? I didn't know Carina was planning something. We both had the night off and I was expecting us to just have a chill evening. Nothing big, maybe a bottle of wine, watch or read a book. I wonder what she has planned.

"Do we have reservations somewhere?" I asked, leaning my head up towards her.

"Oh no no, nothing like that," she seemed tentative to reveal anything. Did she think I wouldn't like it?

"Carina you can tell me, I'm sure I'll love it," I kept my voice soft.

"Well, I just feel like we've been distant lately, with work and everything. And I just want to feel close to you again," Carina rambled on.

"Of course," I cut her off, "I get it, I do. We've had our patches, and we haven't done things in a while cause of schedules,"

Carina let out a sigh of relief. She looked into my eyes, her soft brown eyes, that I could get lost in for hours. The way they creased when she smiled, the left slightly more than the right. Looking at her, I tried to convey everything I was feeling, the need to make her feel safe, the overwhelming love I had for her.

I wiped a stray tear that fell down her cheek. I never wanted her to feel sad, especially something concerning our relationship.

"It's okay, it's okay," I said stroking her cheek. "I have been working a lot of overtime, more than usual. I'm sorry. I don't want to strain our relationship with work, not again," my voice started to crack. I could feel my throat starting to hurt and my eyes starting to itch. I was getting upset. I never want Carina to feel like this and it's all my fault.

Carina nuzzled into my chest. Her breath on my skin immediately calmed me down. I felt its rhythm. She was here with me, not in a hotel on the other side of town. She wanted to be here and wanted to do something with me tonight. I'm okay. We're okay.

I took a deep breath, "So what were you planning on us doing tonight?" I was slightly anxious at this point. My feelings were still on high alert because of my previous panic.

"I was hoping to have a picnic outside tonight," she said, keeping her face still against my chest.

"Wow," I was speechless.

"Wow, what?" she asked a hint of fear in her tone. She shifted so that her forehead was pressed against my skin and she spoke directly into my chest.

How could I be this lucky? To have a wife that loves me so much? We're having a rough patch and it's her idea for us to reconnect. For us to be closer. And she's willing to set up a picnic and go the extra mile.

"That sounds amazing babe," I said as I brushed some of her hair behind her ear.

"Really?" she asked looking up at me.

"Yes really," I responded, slowly sitting up on the bed as she got off me. "Now let's get dressed and have dinner. How does that sound?"

"Sounds like a plan bella," she said.

Before she left to get off the bed, I gently grabbed her wrist. She looked back at me, scanning me up and down. I moved forward towards her and placed a simple kiss on her lips. She pulled away staring into my eyes. I couldn't tell what she was thinking. Her eyes were moving back and forth, as if she was looking over my features, trying to conjure up something to say.

I slowly moved my head closer again to hers. Our foreheads resting together.

I spoke clearly and confidently, "I love you,". There was a pause that felt like an infinity. My hands grabbed the sheets in anticipation. What if she didn't say it back? Were we in that bad of a place? Did I just ruin our night?

The silence was broken with her words, "Bella stop thinking," she placed her hands on my knees. "Ti amo Maya," she then leaned in and kissed me. She kissed me fervently with passion, something that couldn't be put into words. She pulled away again ending the kiss. I felt like I was dirty and needed to shower again. My lips were swollen and by the look of it, hers were too.

"Ti amo," I said back not wanting this moment to be over.

"Ah! I could hear that again, I love it when you speak Italiano," she said, as she pinched her hand together. The classic Italian hand gesture I have seen many times.

"Ti amo Carina," I repeated, "Ti amo, ti amo, ti amo. Per sempre," she laughed a laugh I haven't heard in ages.

"Mi moglie bella," she responded, walking away to the closet and dropping her towel in the process. So confident and so beautiful. My lovely wife.