Book Club

Book Club

Carina and I were standing outside Andy's door, with our books in hand. I was swaying back and forth on my feet. I was a little nervous to share my ideas about the book. Meanwhile, Carina was excited. She hadn't stopped talking about the book, her favourite moments, which characters she loved and which ones she despised. We had our fair share of arguments on specific character's motives and this drove her more into the book. I'm sure she'll have a great time today and not be afraid to voice her opinions.

As we heard footsteps coming to open the door, she quickly side-eyed me. "You look clammy," she observed. And she was right of course. My hands were sweaty, and my sweater was feeling a lot itchier than what it was when I put it on this morning.

"It'll be okay bella," she reassured, rubbing my back. Then the door opened.

"Maya! Carina! Hello, come on in. We're just about to get started," Andy welcomed us in. We each gave her a hug. She pointed her finger at me, "I hope you actually read the book Maya, and not watched the movie,"

"I did!" I said, slightly offended. I crossed my arms, the book still in hand.

"She truly did," Carina backed me up. "We had many disagreements,"

"Oohh interesting," Andy said excitedly, rubbing her hands together. "Let me take your jackets,"

We took off our coats and handed them to her. I saw Carina eying down people in the living room, trying to see if there was someone she recognized. Most of them were Andy's family and friends. I recognized her one cousin, Michelle. A little on the flirty side, but I'm sure with Carina here she won't do anything.

As we walked towards her living room, I kept conversation with Andy. "I love that you find conflict between me and my wife interesting. And also, why did you only ask me if I read the book?"

She laughed, "Carina always has some sort of book in her hands or on her phone. You on the other hand. I don't think I've seen you read anything other than protocol and reports."

I rolled my eyes. She was right, I wasn't much of an avid reader. But that didn't mean that I didn't enjoy sitting back and getting lost in another world. Even if that world was very straight and a little cringey.

We sat down on the couch together, and Andy sat on a chair opposite of us.

"Everyone this is Maya, you probably already know her. And this is her wife, Carina."

"Hello nice to meet you," Carina said to everyone.

I followed, "Hey". Around me, I saw Michelle, Andy's aunt Tia Ruth, and her other cousin named Sandra.

"I'm glad everyone could make it. Now I'm hoping that you all read the book and enjoyed it. Even those that might not have direct connections,"

Yes, Andy. The book you selected, Fifty Shades of Grey, isn't exactly up a married woman's alley. Even though Carina, I and I think Michelle were all bi. I would have preferred a murder mystery of some sort. I'll be putting that in for my choice next month.

I looked at Carina and she was looking back at me, smirking. She knew exactly what I was thinking. I had been very vocal about the choice of book at home when we first started to read it.

"Now, I have everything. Tea, coffee, wine, pop in the fridge," Andy continued, "And thank you to Maya and Carina for bringing the homemade biscotti. It looks delicious,"

"Ah not a problem," Carina said.

"Yes, thank you Maya," Michelle said looking me up and down. Oh no, here we go. Carina turned her head sharply towards Michelle. I knew what her eyes, must have been saying. And if I were Michelle, I would be very scared to mess with the Italian fury that is a jealous Carina. I stayed silent. Not wanting to address the situation.