Chapter 22

One week later:

Naruto sat in one of the many courtyards of the Senju estate. The warm sun shone down on the blonde as he sat on the terrace that led to the living room.
He tried to relax but he couldn't. These days Naruto was very confused and a bit uneasy. Especially when it came to a certain Uchiha.

For the past week, Izuna has been hanging around him more; which means, by extension, Madara. As a result, the taller man had been trying to be more friendly to the blonde. Well as friendly as an emotionally stunted, human weapon can be.
That meant Madara started sparring with him, asking him questions about the scrolls he found, and generally hanging around him more.(still keeping a reasonable distance)
Naruto didn't know how to feel about this change in the taller man's behavior. He couldn't even ask Kurama about it because all of the fox's suggestions were murderous.
It was unpleasant but the blonde couldn't say he was mad about it. After all, he never expected the Uchiha to even attempt something like that.

Naruto sighed.
Suddenly he was pulled from his thoughts by a tap on his shoulder. As he looked up, he was greeted by Mito's smiling face.
N-"Oh...hello Mito. Did you need something?"
Mito sat next to him and rested a hand on his.
M-"No. I just came out here to enjoy the view but, I found you instead....You seem troubled. Would you like to talk about it?"
Naruto blushed a bit out of embarrassment. Then his face fell and he looked away. Mito frowned and tilted her head. Naruto spoke quietly.
N-"What would you do if you were told that someone you knew was gonna do somethingterrible to you in the future. And I mean unspeakable. But...the thing is that the personin question not only hasn't done anything yet, but also didn't plan on doing any of those things."

Mito blinked. Then her face switched to one of confusion.
M-"...In that case...I wouldn't be bothered by it. The person does not plan on doing any of those things right?"
N-"Well, yes..."
Mito gave him a wide smile.
M-"Then there should be no problem. The only concerning thing should be the person who told you this information. How did they come to have this knowledge/opinion?..."
Naruto paused; realizing just how weird/silly his question must have sounded. But...then he started to really think about it.
Mito wasn't wrong.
Madara hadn't done anything to him; at least not this Madara. So how could Naruto (a person who has personally dept with misguided hate) do that to another person...even if they are Madara Uchiha.
Then Naruto remembered why Mascara became his future self...Izuna's death. Izuna died because of the conflict between the Senju and Uchiha...
The conflict his political marriage was made to solve.

Mito sighed and put a hand on his shoulder. Naruto med her steady gaze.
M-" I don't know what this is about but, I know you'll figure it out. Your bright and one of the most caring people I know. "
Naruto watched as Mito stood up and brushed off her kimono.
M-"Now, I'm going to go help the maids with lunch. I will see you later."
Naruto smiled as she walked off.
When she was gone, the smile fell and Naruto was left alone with his thoughts.

✨To be continued✨