3 - Dragonstone

"In 107 AC, after the first day of Princess Rhaenyra's name day celebrations, she and her cousin, Princess Daena, went to the Dragonpit to visit Rhaenyra's dragon, Syrax. But instead, they were met with the sight of Daena's father, Prince Daemon, and his blood-red dragon, Caraxes. Daemon took Daena to the ancestral seat of House Targaryen - Dragonstone. It is said he took her to the dark, grim caves below the castle. Nobody truly knows what happened down there. But what is known is that on that day, Princess Daena proved to everyone the strength of her Targaryen blood by claiming the dragon of the Old King Jaeherys - Vermithor, the Bronze Fury." 

(Fire & Blood, Being a History of the Targaryen Kings of Westeros, by Archmaester Gyldayn)

It was the most amazing feeling in the world. As Caraxes flew over King's Landing and headed toward Blackwater Bay, Daena could see the entire city. She could see the Red Keep, the Dragonpit, and the Sept. Her father held her with one of his strong hands. 

"Embrot!" (Down!) Her father commanded and Caraxes dipped down. Daena screamed, not expecting it. Her silver hair whipped in the air and she could feel the wind whipping at her skin, but she didn't care. She felt alive. She felt happy. She felt free. If this is how she felt flying on someone's dragon, she could only imagine how it would feel if she had her own. As they flew over the Blackwater River and out into the sea, she realized where they were going - Dragonstone. 

Soon, she was able to make out the island of Dragonstone. Thankfully, today was a bright and sunny day, even above the usually gloomy island. The sky was blue and clear, with no cloud in sight. As they flew closer and closer, Daena could now clearly see the sharp edges of the castle. A grim place, Dragonstone was built by Valyrians with arcane arts, fire, and sorcery. 

"Tegot!" (Land!) Her father said and Caraxes started to descend. They flew down and made a circle around the castle. They landed on one of the beaches. 

"Kesīr iksi, dōna riña. Zaldrīzesdōron." (Here we are, sweet girl. Dragonstone.) Her father whispered in her ear as he unfastened all the protective belts and chains that were keeping them safely seated on the saddle. He helped her down. She did most of it herself, but quite clumsily. Daemon chuckled as Daena almost tripped and fell, but he caught her. 

"Kepa... ȳdra daor sōpagon rȳ nyke!" (Father...Don't laugh at me!) Daena huffed, her cheeks red from the flying and embarrassment. 

"Forgive me, sweet girl. You just look so adorable when you're angry." Daemon jested. Daena huffed and turned her head dramatically. They were soon greeted by some of the knights who lived on Dragonstone and the castle maester, Gerardys.  

"Prince Daemon...Princess Daena. We were not expecting you here. We were told you were in the capital, celebrating Princess Rhaenyra's name day." Maester Gerardys said in a soft voice. He was an elderly man, though not as old or bald as Grandmeaster Mellos, Daena noticed.