7 - Loss of Innocence

"In the year 111, the tides of destiny changed course. Queen Aemma Arryn died in childbirth, and so did the child she was carrying. That same year, Princess Rhaenyra, the King's only living child, was named Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne. All the major Lords of Westeros swore fealty to her in a lavish ceremony held in King's Landing. The King banished Prince Daemon from the capital, leaving his young daughter, Princess Daena, all alone at court."

(Fire & Blood, Being a History of the Targaryen Kings of Westeros, by Archmaester Gyldayn)

~

111 AC, King's Landing

High above the city, Princess Rhaenyra was flying atop her yellow she-dragon, Syrax. Slightly behind was her cousin, Princess Daena, who was atop her dragon, Vermithor. The two dragons flew above the Red Keep and toward the Dragonpit on the Hill of Rhaenys, on the other side of the capital.

Syrax, the smaller of the two dragons, landed first. Vermithor followed suit, the ground shaking under his enormous body. Rhaenyra and Daena dismounted their respective dragons with experienced ease. 

"Dohaeras, Syrax. Dohearas, Vermithor." The dragon keepers spoke to the dragons in the ancient tongue of Old Valyria.

Daena caressed Vermithor's scaly neck. She looked into his big copper eyes. She smiled at him, and she liked to believe he smiled back. "Ēva hembar jēda. Sagon syz." (Until next time. Be good.)

With one last pat on his neck, she turned away from him and walked toward Rhaenyra, who just said her goodbye to Syrax. 

"Welcome back, Princesses. I trust your ride was pleasant." Said Ser Harrold Westerling, Rhaenyra's sworn shield. 

"Try not to look too relieved, Ser." Nyra cheekily said. 

"I am relieved. Every time that golden beast brings you back unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike." Ser Harrold replied.

Daena and Nyra chuckled as they walked toward their coach. "Syrax is growing quickly. She'll soon be as large as Caraxes." Said the chirpy voice of Alicent Hightower, Rhaenyra's friend. 

Daena had to suppress a frown at the sight of the redhead. "What is she doing here?" She thought, annoyed that Alicent was interfering with something that was supposed to be something only she and Nyra shared. 

"That's almost large enough to saddle two," Rhaenyra suggested. 

"I believe I'm quite content as a spectator, thank you," Alicent replied smiling, and got inside the coach. Rhaenyra stood there for a few seconds, almost like she wished for a different answer.

Daena cleared her throat which seemed to pull Rhaenyra out of her stupor. "After you," Daena said as she gestured for Nyra to enter. 

Quickly following her cousin Daena got inside the coach, sitting on the opposite side of Alicent, while Rhaenyra sat directly next to the redhead.