Chapter Three: Driftmark

{High Tide, Driftmark, 120AC}

Rhaenys the Younger thought Driftmark was beautiful, the Velaryon ancestral home was a sight to see. It was just a shame the circumstances were less than ideal. Her aunt, Lady Laena Velaryon had passed in childbirth, leaving her two daughters and husband on their own. Rhaenys hadn't been there when her father received the news, but she heard the roaring of Seasmoke who was grieving with their rider. She couldn't imagine ever losing Jace, gods, she felt uneasy being in a different room to him. And on the family's entire journey to Driftmark, Rhaenys stayed glued to her father's side allowing him to hold her close or at least feel comforted.

Rhaenyra kept her children by her side as the procession kept on, Joffrey was still too young to attend so he had been left with Rhaenyra's handmaidens. Luce held his mother's hand tightly, Jace doing the same. Rhaenys stood by her father's side still, allowing him to hold her close as he stared at his sister's coffin. Vaemond Velaryon led the eulogy in High Valyrian, glaring at Jace, Rhaenys and Luce as he mentioned "pure Velaryon blood". Jace and Luce stared at their mother confused, as they had not studied their ancestral language as diligently as their sister. Rhaenys on the other hand glared at the man, before averting her eyes to a blonde man who began to snicker at the words. 'That must be Daemon,' Rhaenys thought to herself whilst hugging her father closer.

The Younger studied everyone that attended the funeral, trying to figure out who was who. There was her family, of course, and the King's family stood to one side. Closest to the coffin, aside from her father and herself, were her grandparents and two girls she assumed were her cousins. Twins, like herself and Jace, except they looked traditionally Velaryon. The girls clung to their grandmother tightly, and Rhaenys The Elder kept her eyes on the coffin occasionally looking at her son.

Rhaenys also kept her eyes on her brother, Jacaerys was also in mourning. They had heard earlier that week that Ser Harwin Strong had died in a tragic fire at Harrenhal. She knew her twin was closer to the knight than she was, but he wasn't able to mourn in public due to the rumors surrounding them. Bastards. That word rang in her head constantly. Everytime she looked in the mirror, or when her father took her to Driftmark to visit her grandparents, or even when her mother braided her hair. She felt unworthy of even being at the funeral of her aunt, she was an imposter there.

~~~~

Regardless of who her father was, Rhaenys did have one escape whilst on Dragonstone. Aemond. The two were still betrothed, and so they exchanged letters by ravens to continue getting to know each other. They bonded over the both of them being dragonless, and Rhaenys complained to Aemond about the Dragonmont being off limits. So when she saw him standing there, right next to Helaena, she couldn't help the smile on her face. Aemond caught her eye and smiled, but quickly looked away as his mother gave him a disapproving stare. Rhaenus pulled a face, hadn't Queen Alicent approved of the match?

Rhaenys felt her father pull away from her, muttering something about needing a drink as he left the girl on her own. She made her way over to her family, taking Jace's hand in hers to give them both comfort. "Your little cousins have lost their mother, they could use a kind word" Rhaenyra said pointedly to her twins, looking around for Laenor. Rhaenys nodded and walked over to her grandparents without complaint, but Jace was not so easily moved. "We have an equal claim to sympathy" he grumbled. "Jace" Rhaenyra hissed sternly, but the young boy paid no mind. "We should be at HarrenHal, mourning Lord Lyonal and Ser Harwin ''. "It would not be appropriate. The Velaryon are our kin, the Strong's are not. Look at me. Do you understand?" Jace nodded, still sulking, but walked over to where his sister was.

"Grandmother, Grandsire, cousins. I am sorry for your loss" Rhaenys nodded her head in respect. Corlys and Rhaenys The Elder kissed her cheeks, and Baela and Rhaena looked at her with uncertainty. The girl walked over to her cousins as Jace appeared at her side. "Cousins, I'm sorry for your loss. My name is Rhaenys, and this is my twin Jacaerys. If there's anything we can do..." She took one of the girl's hands and she received a squeeze in thanks. "Baela, and this is Rhaena," the girl holding Rhaenys the Younger's hand muttered.