Prologue

In the year 114AC, Princess Rhaenyra gave birth for the first time. The realm was thrilled when it was announced the heir to the Iron Throne had birthed twins, a boy and a girl. The eldest, a little girl with a tuft of traditional golden, Targaryen hair and violet eyes, was born just as the dawn rose over Kings Landing. Her father, Laenor Velaryon, named her Rhaenys after his own mother. The younger, a boy adorning brown hair and eyes- not so traditionally Targaryen. His mother named him Jacaerys.

The twins were inseparable since birth. Even when Jacaerys's dragon egg hatched and Rhae's did not. Even when their mother birthed another son, another brown haired beauty Lucerys. Rhaenys picked her younger brother's egg herself, and prayed that his egg would hatch.

Despite the twins carrying the name Velaryon, it did not go unnoticed how they bore resemblance to the Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Harwin Strong. Their father, Ser Laenor, took no notice of the rumors however and for the first years of their lives was as involved as a father could be. He taught his daughter their ancestral language, High Valyrian, and spoke to his son of his history on Driftmark, the island which he would eventually rule.

Everything was peaceful, for a time. But as always with the House of the Dragon, chaos was never far...