Chapter 25 - Admiral Halsey

"No enemy fighters intercepted. No sight of aircraft at the airfield, and no anti-aircraft fire. Bombing completed, causing significant damage to the runway and related facilities. No losses for our squadron. We will now return to base."

The three carriers were packed with more than 100 planes. Upon receiving this report from the commander of the attack squadron, Admiral William F. Halsey Jr., the commander of the carrier task force, was bewildered.

"Did the Japanese in the Marshall Islands chickened out from the Pacific Fleet's attack? The reports from the Philippines said that the Japs are a ferocious and warlike lot."

Seeing Halsey's unimpressed attitude, the dutiful intelligence staff officer issued a caution.

"There are two possible reasons. The Japanese military concentrated their forces too much on capturing the resource-rich areas in the south, so they couldn't deploy sufficient troops to the Marshall Islands. In other words, they abandoned the fight in the Marshalls due to a simple lack of troops. The other possibility is a trap. By making the Marshalls appear deserted, they intend to provoke an amphibious operation from us. Once the infantry lands, the Pacific Fleet will have no choice but to engage. It seems that the latter possibility is more likely this time."

As the officer suggested, it is known that the Combined Fleet has departed from Japan to respond to the Pacific Fleet's actions. Furthermore, they were advancing towards this location at a considerable speed. Given these facts, it was natural to assume that they were highly motivated.

"Well, regardless of whether the Japs are motivated or not, there's no doubt they missed the right time. The current situation is advantageous for us."

Halsey's greatest concern was being ambushed by the Japanese mobile fleet. If they were to be caught in a pincer attack by Marshall's land-based aircraft and the mobile fleet's carrier-based aircraft, their struggle would be inevitable. However, Marshall lacked powerful air assets, which eliminated the greatest concern.

"Do you have any additional information about the Combined Fleet?"

Halsey, shifting his focus, inquired about any changes in the enemy's force composition.

"We have not received any reports indicating a significant change in the strength of the Combined Fleet since their departure."

It is known that the Japanese Navy deployed six carriers and four battleships for the capture of the resource-rich areas in the south. Notably, among those six carriers were the Akagi and Kaga. The absence of the most powerful carriers in the Japanese Navy, comparable to the Lexington-class, in the vicinity of the Marshall Islands was a significant piece of good news and advantage for the Pacific Fleet.

"So, that means the Combined Fleet is left with two carriers and six battleships."

The Japanese Navy had large carriers like Akagi and Kaga, medium carriers like Sōryū and Hiryū, as well as small carriers like Ryūjō and Hōshō, in addition to three special-purpose carrier conversions. Among them, it was later found that Hōshō was too small and too slow to be used effectively in carrier battles.

"Do we know anything about the performance of Sōryū and Hiryū?"

In the Japanese Navy, Sōryū and Hiryū are the most powerful carriers after Akagi and Kaga. If they want to engage the Pacific Fleet in a decisive battle, there shouldn't be only two carriers, and they shouldn't be small or converted carriers.

"Sōryū and Hiryū were both constructed under the Circle 2 Plan, and both ships cost just slightly over 40 million yen each. Considering the prices at that time, these two ships don't have a significantly large hull. They are probably of a size somewhere between regular carriers and small carriers."

The intelligence staff officer's assessment of Sōryū and Hiryū didn't differ significantly from Halsey's. What's concerning is if both carriers are equipped exclusively with fighters, giving up attacks on enemy ships and focusing on gaining air superiority. In that case, their carrier air groups should be prepared for commensurate damage. However, Halsey believed that this possibility is small. If the Japanese had a significant advantage in surface warships, it would be a different story, but that's not the current situation.

"Looks like an easy win," he muttered to himself, but it seemed that it came out audibly.

The intelligence staff officer who heard him alerted him and urged Halsey to be cautious.

"There's uncertainty regarding the carriers and battleships. Each has two carriers and battleships."

Halsey was aware that Japan is constructing two battleships and carriers under the Circle 3 Plan, but the details of their construction progress and capabilities were not well understood. So, he straightforwardly asks the information staff officer.

"While constructing under the Circle 3 Plan, the battleships cost 98 million yen each, and the carriers cost 81 million yen each. Comparing them with battleships, it's safe to assume the carriers are of a larger type. It is likely that they have the same or even greater capabilities than Akagi and Kaga."

Halsey questioned the officer's opinion, "Do you think that Japan, with its limited construction capacity, can build such large carriers, and at this time, have them ready for combat?"

Building carriers is not enough; they also require appropriate training and proficiency.

"I honestly don't know about that. But it's safer to assume that they exist."

Halsey agreed with the intelligence staff officer's opinion. When it comes to overestimating or underestimating the enemy, it's the latter that can bite them in the rear.

"Let's heed the intelligence staff's opinion. The enemy has four carriers, two of which are new types. As for the battleships, we can't do much about it. Let's hope Admiral Pye can handle it well."

Halsey turned to the air staff and instructed them to prepare for the sortie of the second attack group.

"We already destroyed the airfield in the morning attack."

With a questioning expression, the air staff looks at Halsey who smiled faintly.

"Now's the time. Give everyone a chance to sortie. Whether the enemy counterattacks or not, it's still a real battle. Today, all carrier aircrew members will graduate from being combat virgins."