Chapter 53 - Battleship Torpedo Attack

The Zero fighters of the first attack group annihilated over 250 enemy interceptors. The Type 0 attackers of the second attack group sank all seven British aircraft carriers they encountered, leaving none afloat. Furthermore, they inflicted damage on numerous cruisers and destroyers. Additionally, the Zero fighters accompanying the second attack group delivered finishing blows to the few remaining enemy fighters. Amidst this consecutive good news, the flagship of the 1st Air Fleet, Akagi, was in the midst of excitement.

On the other hand, the British fleet, consisting of Forces X, Y, and Z, was enveloped in a heavy atmosphere in stark contrast. They understood intellectually that Japanese carrier-based aircraft possessed formidable strength. However, the unexpected sight of seven carriers being sunk with just one strike was beyond their expectations. Moreover, nearly a third of their cruisers and destroyers were hit, and a considerable number of them were rendered unable to continue the fight.

The trials for the British fleet continued. Their radar detected a new formation without a doubt. The third attack group sent by the Combined Fleet had arrived.

"They have come here," Admiral Pound, the overall commander of the British fleet and the leader of Force Z, muttered quietly.

The enemy must have considered their new battleships as the greatest threat. All aircraft of the third attack group were heading directly for them.

Before the battle began, Force Z consisted of two armored carriers and one battleship, along with six cruisers and sixteen destroyers, forming a powerful fleet. However, after the enemy's second attack, two armored carriers, Illustrious and Victorious, were sunk, and three cruisers and six destroyers were destroyed.

Among the undamaged ships, all battleships and cruisers, as well as half of the destroyers, continued to advance toward the Combined Fleet. The remaining half of the destroyers were either assisting the aircraft carrier crew members or participating in firefighting operations with their fellow ships.

The third attack group transitioned into an assault formation, intensifying Force Z's dire situation. This unit consisted of one Type 0 attacker squadron from each of the 11 regular aircraft carriers and 33 Zeros as escorts. All attackers in this squadron were equipped with torpedoes.

The surveillance of the surrounding airspace was entrusted to the Zero fighters, while Lieutenant Commander Murata, the commander of the third attack group and leader of the Akagi unit, considered the distribution of forces. The attackers from the 1st and 3rd Air Fleet each had 27 attackers, and the 2nd Air Fleet had 45 of them. Assigning each attacker unit to attack enemy battleships separately was straightforward and caused minimal confusion. However, in this situation, the 2nd Air Fleet's unit seemed to have an excess of firepower. The conclusion was quickly reached, and Murata issued an immediate order to address it.

"Hiryū and Sōryū unit, target the enemy cruisers. The rest will go for the battleships. The 1st Air Fleet to the first ship, the 2nd Air Fleet to the second ship, and the 3rd Air Fleet to the third ship. As for the attack tactics, the 2nd and 3rd Air Fleets are to follow the instructions of your respective commanders."

They would send 27 attackers to each of the three British battleships. If thirty percent of the torpedoes hit, it would guarantee a sinking, and if they were older cruisers, twenty percent would likely be sufficient. To deal with the troublesome escorts, they decided to entrust the capable Hiryū and Sōryū squadrons. They were sure to make successful torpedo hits even against fast cruisers. With these considerations in mind, Murata continued giving instructions.

"The 1st Air Fleet inbound. The Shōkaku and Zuikaku units will attack from starboard, while the Akagi unit will go from the port side."

As he issued the command, Murata descended his aircraft and led his subordinates towards the front-left of the enemy's lead ship. His skilled wingmen promptly followed his lead as they flew at ultra-low altitude.

The enemy's lead ship, sensing the pincer attack, displayed signs of turning to port. They had prioritized dealing with the greater number of attackers on the starboard side. On the contrary, in the eyes of the crew members of the Akagi squadron, it appeared as if the enemy's lead ship was exposing its broadside. However, there was no time for celebration. The fact that there were fewer aircraft meant that each aircraft would be targeted by a relatively higher number of enemy projectiles.

The shells fired from the enemy battleship were intense, but not a single Type 0 from the Akagi squadron had been shot down. Even with excellent targeting equipment, accuracy could not be maintained while the ship was turning. Would they be able to release all torpedoes in this condition? Just as Murata began to hope, an explosion sounded behind them. One of the wingmen had been hit by the enemy's anti-aircraft fire, whether it was machine gun or cannon fire. However, only that one aircraft was lost before the torpedo release.

"Attack!"

Upon reaching the torpedo release position, Murata, filled with determination, dropped his torpedoes. His wingmen following closely behind his aircraft also released their torpedoes.

Once the torpedoes were launched, it was a headlong escape. The Type 0 attackers maneuvered to avoid the enemy battleship's bow and stern, maintaining ultra-low altitude as they steadily disengaged. The fifth aircraft, attempting to cross directly above the enemy's lead ship, was caught in a barrage of anti-aircraft fire and disintegrated. No matter how much the battleship maneuvered during evasive action, it was inevitable that some aircraft would be hit if they got too close.

"Water columns on the right side of the enemy lead ship! Furthermore, one, two, three! Water columns on the left side as well! And another one, two!"

Amidst the efforts to evade the enemy's barrage, joyous reports from the rear seat crew members came to Murata's ears. The Shōkaku and Zuikaku squadrons had collectively scored four hits, while the Akagi squadron had scored three. Murata acknowledged that the enemy ship in the lead had a quadruple gun turret during their withdrawal after the torpedo release. If that were the case, the enemy lead ship was likely either the King George V or the Duke of York. Even the King George V-class battleship, with its moniker of the "unsinkable" ship, wouldn't survive after taking seven torpedoes. While considering this, Murata received a series of reports on the results from other squadrons.

"The Hiryū squadron scored two torpedo hits on the large cruiser, significantly reducing its speed."

"The Sōryū squadron hit two torpedoes on the heavy cruiser to large light cruiser, with a significant list and it's on fire."

"Seven torpedo hits on the enemy's second ship, a sure sinking. Target confirmed as the King George V-class."

"Six torpedo hits on the Renown, sinking imminent."

The 99 Type 0s attacked two battleships, one battlecruiser, and two cruisers, with 24 torpedo hits. With no interference from enemy fighters, the hit rate was less than 25 percent. Murata couldn't help but feel slightly dissatisfied. Nevertheless, they had sunk three of the enemy's main ships, so it was a passable result.

'What do the higher-ups intend to do next?'

In the second attack, they had sunk seven carriers, and in the third attack, two battleships and one battlecruiser. However, the enemy still had eight battleships remaining. To call them the "remaining enemies" was an understatement; their strength was still significant. On the other hand, the Type 0 attackers had suffered damage one after another, significantly reducing their combat capabilities. Whether they could sink eight battleships was a dubious question.

'Is it any wonder that the lowest-ranking senior officer is the one who should be thinking about this?'

Switching his focus, Murata pointed the nose of his aircraft toward the friendly fleet.