Chapter 3

Follow @Benitobonita so you do not miss my stories.

Two vehicles were driving side by side. Nanjan and Ramaik were in an open-back car carrying a transport cage with a pongo, while Angelina had the honor of sitting next to Labih, who was driving a blue Taruna.

Angelina's brows furrowed as her thumbs scrolled through veterinarian job vacancies on the nearest island. She became frustrated as she read the required qualifications.

Must have prior work experience.

Due to the actions of a psychopath, she had been declared dead and could no longer use her real identity. Now, she was just a veterinarian from an obscure university, and her only experience was working for an unknown nonprofit organization with unpredictable hours.

"Doctor, th-there's dirt on your hair," Labih said, looking worried. His eyes repeatedly examined his beloved car seat, which had become dirty.

Angelina absentmindedly shook her head, making the dirt fall and soiled the chair. Her thumbs were still busy tapping letters on her device's screen.

"Em... tickets to Papua," Angelina mumbled as she searched for the cheapest travel agency. Or maybe to Timor Leste? No need for a visa, right?

Labih looked puzzled and asked, "Huh? Why go to Papua, Doctor? Mr. Nanjan said we can't take leave until the new year. He's also finding a lawyer to sue Rambun for quitting suddenly."

Hah?!

Angelina suddenly remembered the clause imposing a fine of a hundred million rupiahs if she resigned before fulfilling her annual contract. She swallowed hard as she counted her meager savings.

The bank had already taken over her tiny house in Jakarta because a wild animal killed the debtor, and his late wife was declared dead in a helicopter accident. Her car had also been sold at a low price as stolen property from its now-deceased owner.

Angelina's eyes welled up. A few years ago, she was a happy single woman with a fulfilling job and a home to call her own. But now, everything had disappeared, leaving only her first name.

"Eh, but I heard Mr. Nanjan will give Rambun's tranquilizer gun to you," Labih said, trying to cheer up Angelina. He grinned widely, attempting to brighten his colleague's mood.

The vehicle in front of them suddenly pulled over. Angelina sighed deeply. It had been a two-hour journey, and it was time to check on the pongo.

The road to the forest sanctuary was nearly empty, with only one or two motorcycles passing by, while open fields dominated both sides.

Angelina opened the car door. She was about to exit when the wild animal that had attacked her late husband leaped out of the car ahead and agilely jumped into the cage.

Labih got out without turning off the engine because Angelina suddenly closed the door and began fiddling with her device, her brow furrowing in concentration. The bearded man opened the trunk and took out three bananas as a snack for the pongo.

Angelina bit her lip softly, shifting her focus from finding an elegant way to quit her job without penalties.

A knock on the window startled Angelina. She looked over and found Nanjan's grim face.

Angelina quickly turned off her device's screen. She rolled down the window and asked, "What's up, sir?"

Angelina could smell an unpleasant odor from the man, who seemed not to have bathed since yesterday. Her nose wrinkled slightly as he bluntly asked, "Doctor, what are you doing here?"