Chapter 15

Follow @Benitobonita so you do not miss my stories.

The sky was almost dark as three tents surrounded the tarp that served as a base for two men wearing Rescue The Wild shirts, taking a break and observing the pongo who had decided to make a nest. However, unlike the three relaxed men, the only woman there appeared restless.

Angelina kept her distance from Ramaik as she tried to call her old colleague. After five rings, the call finally connected.

"Hello?"

"Doctor Sandy," Angelina whispered quickly. The woman stepped farther away when she noticed Ramaik glancing in her direction before continuing, "Why is he here?!"

However, she heard static crackling on the line, as if the receiver had transferred the call to another location before she could get an answer.

"Didn't Mr. Ramaik explain the reason? Mr. Nixon—"

"Mr. Nixon's no longer in Samarinda!" Angelina interrupted. "Ramaik's presence here serves no purpose!"

Silence dominated the conversation. Angelina glanced back for a moment to monitor the situation. Labih tried to talk with Ramaik even though his conversation partner wasn't very responsive.

"Doctor Sandy...."

"Inyiak's health is deteriorating," said Doctor Sandy, silencing Angelina. She remembered the unhealed wound on Ramaik's arm.

Angelina's emotions waned as Doctor Sandy continued. "Inyiak needs Genma medication. Mr. Ramaik has come to escort you there. It's a secret location; not even Doctor William knows about that place."

"But why me?" Angelina whispered as she distanced herself from Ramaik.

"There are many medications that we don't know the purpose of. There's no specific label for Inyiak. I'm sure you agree that the risk is too great if we randomly inject that substance into Mr. Ramaik. We hope your previous experience can help minimize that risk."

Angelina bit her slightly numb lip from the recent wild cat attack. Ramaik's condition was concerning, and her dignity as a woman was also at stake. Male animals, including tigers, could detect a female's estrus cycle by the scent. Angelina knew that crucial information for a long time, making her head spin. Did Ramaik harass every woman entering her fertile period?

"But, I have to work. I can't just leave," Angelina explained, her emotions conflicting. She was too embarrassed to reveal her problem. If she accepted the task, she had to travel two days to get to Samarinda with him. With Ramaik's erratic behavior, copulation could occur at any time, perhaps even without her consent. "I could be fired."

"We've considered that, Doctor."

Huh?!

"Doctor William, as a center representative, has approved an increase in the budget for outreach. To release the new funds, Doctor Angelina and Mr. Ramaik must conduct a two-week education program about the mangrove forest's role and the community's part in wildlife preservation."

"Two weeks?!" Angelina almost screamed. However, she quickly realized her mistake and looked back. Cricket chirps echoed as the moonlight illuminated the path shrouded in darkness. Angelina saw the route she had just taken with a pounding heart.

"Hello? Hello, Doctor Angelina?"

"Sorry, I'll call back later."

Angelina hung up the phone and turned on her flashlight. The white light illuminated the brown ground before she began to walk, searching for her way back to the pongo's nest.

"Done with your call?"

"Hua!" Angelina yelped, startled. She immediately turned around and only then realized that the person she had been avoiding was already there.

Ramaik leaned against one of the oil palm trees, crossing his arms. The darkness of the sky made it difficult to discern his facial expression.

"What are you doing here?!" Angelina hissed, instantly radiating hostility.

But instead of answering, the man carrying a backpack grabbed back Angelina's bag from the ground. He turned his head in the opposite direction of her intended destination and spoke briefly. "Shower."

Huh?!

Angelina was stunned as the image of them under a wild waterfall without a single thread of clothing flashed through her mind.

Ramaik observed Angelina's reaction. His lips suddenly curved before he asked, "Want to shower together?"

You crazy cat!

Angelina's cheeks suddenly felt hot. She moved quickly to grab her bag and responded with annoyance.

"No! Give me back my bag!"

A long purr suddenly sounded when their fingers accidentally touched. Angelina recoiled and moved away.

Ramaik didn't say anything when he noticed Angelina's exaggerated reaction. He turned and walked ahead. "Come on."

Angelina's pride prevented her from following a man who had just offered something forbidden for a proper woman. Ramaik stopped walking. He turned back and murmured casually, "Be careful. Thirteen steps to the right, there's a snake."

The flashlight, which had been lighting the ground all this time, was immediately directed by Angelina to where Ramaik had indicated. Her face paled as she saw the zebra-like-colored snake slithering around.

Angelina ran towards the man who had been waiting for her. Her breath quickened as she exclaimed.

"Why didn't you say so earlier?! What if I got bitten?! Welang snake venom is very dangerous!"

Unfortunately, Ramaik had no intention of responding. He grabbed Angelina's two-kilogram backpack from her hand and continued walking.

Angelina grumbled irritably. She would have roared if she hadn't remembered that her actions might arouse the Wild Cat's passion. Ramaik's back moved further away before the woman reluctantly decided to follow.

*****

Their destination was a floating house anchored by the river. The wooden structure on a raft measured 10 x 18 square meters and was divided into a men's and women's bathroom and three pairs of toilets. Angelina walked cautiously, sweeping her flashlight over bushes and the sandy riverbank.

There were no crocodile tracks or egg-laying holes. Angelina sighed with relief, even though she continued to sweep through the low vegetation to spot flashes of the Saltwater Crocodile's eyes.

Ramaik handed Angelina's backpack back to its owner. He then walked toward the floating house, checking the toilets and bathroom before saying, "It's safe. Go ahead and shower."

Angelina didn't require a second explanation. She followed him down to the floating house and closed the bathroom door before washing herself clean with river-filtered water.

Dear readers, please press the star button.